Chapter 1: Summer Shenanigans

A/N: Just letting you know that this story does get better as it progresses and I do hope you'll enjoy it, but it's okay if not!
•–——————————————•

"SHE WANTS TO DANCE LIKE UMA THURMAN
BURY ME TILL I CONFESS
SHE WANTS TO DANCE LIKE UMA THURMAN
AND I CAN'T GET YOU OUT OF MY HEAD —"

Hannah Abbott groaned and shut off the radio I had been blasting, out of my old stick shift Volkswagen Beetle as I drove my friends to the theatre.

"Hey! Wha—" I started to exclaim but she cut me off.

"God, Davis, my head is splitting! And Ernie's is as well!" She said sternly pointing back at Ernest Macmillan who was clutching his hands over his ears next to Zacharias Smith who was doing the same. Despite Ernie's tall stature, he had somehow managed to crouch down enough to fit in the back seat. His mousy brown hair hung messily over his ears as if that would help drown out the miraculous voice that belonged to Patrick Stump. Zach's golden hair was too short to cover his ears, but he was hunkered down just like Ernie and glaring heatedly at the floor mat.

I sighed as I pulled into the theatre's parking lot and unlocked the doors. Zach cheered and bailed out closely followed by Ernie. Hannah got out after them as I dug around under my seat for my bag. Today was the last day of summer before school started up again and the four of us wanted to spend sunrise to sunset together. Zach had been very curious to see Hamlet after I had attempted to explain it as one of William Shakespeare's finest plays at the local theatre with Ernest as well. Hannah wanted to go shopping afterward with me once the boys had tired themselves out.

"Hurry up, Davis! I'm starving!" Zach said as he neared the door.

"You ate on the way," I hissed chasing after the three of them.

"Yes, but popcorn! Come on, please?" He whined as we stumbled through the door and into the line for tickets.

"Buy your own!" Ernie said as we moved up through the line quickly.

"I haven't any money," Zach snapped.

"Boys!" Hannah and I exclaimed in unison.

They each rolled their eyes and looked away. Hannah and I stepped up and bought our tickets and waited expectantly as Ernest caved in and bought Zach and his own ticket. Zach was about to demand popcorn when Hannah announced we were about the miss the movie and they sprinted passed us towards the theatre.

"Guys—" I began again, but Hannah stopped me and we made our way after them.

The small room was dark with only a few lights near the aisle and the seats were in long rows of red-padded fabric. When Hannah and I caught up with Zach and Ernie, they were squabbling over something to do with the best seat in the back row and drawing attention to themselves.

"Sit. Watch. Hush," I instructed curtly.

"Fine, mum, I'll just sit here and be a quiet little angel for the entire movie," said Ernie as the lights dimmed down all the way.

"Thanks, Ernie," I laughed as the previews started playing.

In all actuality, the showing of Hamlet went off without a catch. Though as the credits were rolling and the soundtrack was playing, Hannah instantly started picking apart the details and comparing it to my original explanation.

"Right, Hamlet was much more of a spoiled brat that I anticipated. Also, I was expecting more of this to be in the historical period of Shakespeare instead of this tacky royalty setting," she said all in one breath.