Chapter 8: Study Session #1

"You have to what?!" Hannah practically shouted after I had relayed the whole incident to her moments after telling Zach.

"It's only for a few nights. Plus he's failing and willing to cooperate with me over this," I said.

"Come on! He's obviously a Death Eater, Davis, he'll kill you. I can feel it," she said angrily.

"Hannah, look at me," I said sternly. "I understand your concern about this and Zach is up planning his murder right now, but I chose to do this. It was me who agreed to tutor him and help him get his grade up. From what he's going through right now with his family, he's taking all the help he can get to ease his mind."

"What? Has Lucius already tasked him with a deadly responsibility?" Hannah snapped.

"How am I supposed to know?" I retaliated.

"Wait, you two aren't buddy-buddy yet? God, Davis, I'm just trying to protect you. Malfoy is nothing but trouble and I don't want to see you get pulled into the middle of whatever it is," she said a little quieter.

"No, we are very far from being buddy-buddy. I just wanted to tell you because I thought you'd understand," I said examining my shoelaces in great detail.

"You thought wrong," Hannah said looking over at me with a steady gaze.

"Obviously," I said, hopping into bed and pulling off my shoes. I drew the curtains around my bed and changed into my pajamas.

"Davis, don't do anything stupid," she said before closing her curtains on me as well.

I glowered at the ceiling as though that made a difference. She was supposed to support me as a friend. The study sessions were only going to last for a grand total of four nights. What could possibly go wrong?

I stumbled up to breakfast the next morning groggy and starved. My three friends were bent over toast and juice and whispering fiercely about who knows what. I was about to take my seat when Johnny barreled into me with a letter clasped tight in his hand.

"Hello, what's this?" I asked as he brandished it in my face.

"It's from Mummy and Daddy about your detention!" He said excitedly.

"Why are you so happy then?" I asked successfully pulling it from his grasp and removing the letter.

"Cause they're both so happy I'm in Hufflepuff with you!" He chimed.

"That's a relief. Looks like it'll take more than that to get them to disown you," I said with a wink.

"Davis, watch your mouth! That's not a nice thing to say! Frederick, tell your daughter to apologize," he said mocking Mum.

"That was scarily accurate," I laughed as I scanned through the letter.

"Dear Davis & Jonathan,

We'd just like to congratulate you, Johnny, for making Hufflepuff with your special sister! Couldn't be more proud of you!

I'm sure Davis is setting a perfect example of how to behave in classes and around others. Or according to a recent letter we received from Professor Sprout, she hasn't been.

Davis, we are very disappointed in you for getting detention. This is the first time you ever have. Couldn't have timed it more poorly. Your brother is just starting out and he doesn't need to see his convict of a sister behaving in such a way! We are appalled at this behavior! But as you already been given your dues, we have reserved to not punish you when the both of you come back home for Christmas Break.