Chapter 11: The Curse of The Opal Necklace

After the day by the lake, everything seemed to change. Malfoy and I started talking a lot more during Potions and Defense Against The Dark Arts about trivial stuff and school work. Though we had put a stop to the tutoring because Malfoy insisted he had to stay preoccupied with his special 'thing'. I learned to let it slide even though I knew very well he was still failing Charms.

October turned into November and then breezed into December. The first week brought more than enough snow and freezing temperatures. Classes were long and boring, full of notes and tests. Astronomy was tough because the sky was constantly overcast and telescopes didn't help much. Mostly, it became a study hall meaning Zach and I talked the whole time. He had come to accept the whole Malfoy thing finally, but he still had his suspicions

"Is he still failing?" Zach asked one very grey morning during third period.

"Yeah, Flitwick was talking to me about it the other day so I asked Malfoy if he wanted to meet later today but he couldn't because of whatever he's doing with his freetime," I said propping my chin on my hand and looking out the tower window.

The deep grey almost reminded me of Malfoy's eyes. I blinked and shook the thought from my head.

"Have you ever asked him what he does? I'm curious," Zach said fiddling with his textbook.

"I've never been more curious myself. I did ask him once during Potions, but all he said was it's not something I should be concerned about," I sighed. "You know, he flinches every single time I say cabinet?"

"What?" asked Zach.

"The other day I couldn't find the correct beans for the potion so I told Malfoy I'd go to the cabinet and get more. He flinched and then told me he had already gotten the beans. I told him they must have vanished and he just got really moody. I think it's safe to say we failed that potion," I rambled.

"So he's not too fond of the words 'Cabinet' and 'Vanished', what's the big deal?" Zach asked wrinkling his nose.

Cabinet. Vanished. Cabinet. Vanished.

"Zach! That's it! Why didn't I see it before? You're brilliant!" I said sitting up straight and grabbing his arm.

"Calm down! Wait, what? Did you just call me brilliant?"

"Yes, I should've seen it before! How could I be so stupid?" I exclaimed.

"Davis, what the hell---" Zach started, but I cut him off excitedly.

"Do you remember when we were in Diagon Alley fourth year and got lost and ended up in Knockturn Alley? We went into Borgin & Burkes by mistake and Mr. Borgin showed us a vanishing cabinet?" I asked excitedly.

"This has what to do with Malfoy exactly?" He asked detaching his arm from my grip.

"You said it yourself that he's not too fond of those words. Also, if there's one cabinet in Knockturn Alley, that means there should be another one somewhere. Now, Malfoy about dies every time I mention those two words so close together in a sentence. What if he knows where the second one is? What if he's been using it or something?" I asked.

Zach frowned hard at me.

"Are you suggesting that there is a vanishing cabinet in Hogwarts?" He asked skeptically.

"Not suggesting, I'm pretty sure it's here," I said a little more calmly.

"I think you're crazy," he said shaking his head.

"What if I am? I feel like I'm onto something."

"Are you just going to walk into Potions tomorrow and ask him?" Zach asked starting to laugh.