Chapter 28: Juliet Without Her Romeo

The train ride home was a long one. Ernie snored, Hannah slept through it somehow, and I laid awake staring out of the train's window. I observed the snow that floated over the countryside as the wonders of nature flowed from dense pine trees, to valleys, to rolling hills, and eventually into Kings Cross Station. I had only slept for roughly a few hours at most which wasn't good as last night I had only managed three hours and seventeen minutes. Hopefully, Mum and Dad wouldn't mind if I slept all day tomorrow.

As the train slowed to a stop, I gently shook awake Hannah who nudged Ernie and we wandered sleepily out of the compartment and followed the other equally sleepy students off the Hogwarts Express. I caught sight of my parents and Johnny right away. He was talking animatedly about something and gesturing to his cheek excitedly. I rubbed my eyes tiredly and prayed I wouldn't be punished for not being right by my brother's side to defend him from Draco.

He saw me as I was helping a groggy Hannah off the train stairs and I saw him over her slumped shoulder. Handsome as ever and still wearing an expression as though he were in pain. His grey eyes pleaded with mine. I made sure Hannah was safely secure with Ernie before making my way over to him reluctantly.

"Davis, I'm so sorry," He mumbled when I finally arrived next to him after having to dodge Neville Longbottom and Ginny Weasley in order to reach him.

I paused in front of Malfoy and stared up into his face. Last year's exhaustion was still clearly etched into his pale face and dark circles encompassed his piercing eyes. Not that I probably looked any better with hardly any sleep from the past two nights.

"I'm sorry, too, I know I overreacted, but—" I wasn't given a chance to finish my sentence.

"You had all the reason to react the way you did. I can't apologize enough for being so cowardly and asinine. I just don't feel ignoring each other is going to accomplish anything between us and I want you to know I meant what I said before about you, Davis, I do love you," Draco stated.

"I love you, too, but I can't be with you if I'm going to be a distraction and also be putting myself in danger," I blurted out faster than I had originally planned to say.

"None of that distraction stuff matters to me. I don't care what my father says or what the Dark Lord thinks, I want to be with you," he said pointedly. "You'd be in danger, but so would I and it's a risk I'd gladly take just to be with you."

I was suddenly kissing him. Full-on lips and arms wrapped around his neck flush up against him. It was as though the world paused and everything and everyone around us faded into nothing. All that mattered was us and I didn't care who saw at this point. I knew I loved him and that he loved me back and that was all I needed.

We broke apart breathing rapidly with our foreheads pressed together and our arms still loosely around each other. We were both smiling, something it seemed I hadn't done in months, but probably had yesterday at a joke Ernie had cracked. Except this smile felt genuine and to share it with Draco made my heart flutter.

"Davis Anne Nine, you get over here right now!" My mother's shrill toned voice soared over the many heads of the many families that were reconnecting with their children for the Christmas holiday.

"Your middle name is Anne?" Draco asked with a smirk and I flushed a deep red. "I like it, it suits you."

"It's so embarrassing," I said trying to get my cheeks to cool down, but every time I made eye contact with Draco, it was like the first time he truly noticed me and I couldn't keep the warmth from spreading across my face.