Chapter 29: The Army Remains Strong

January passed agonizingly slow with an inordinate amount of snow. The cold temperatures made staying in the Common Room with my friends an agreeable time. We stopped going to the library a week back from Christmas Break because it was very drafty and Hannah got cold easily. Our study sessions with Susan, Leanne, Wayne, and Justin migrated to the Common Room's overly comfortable chairs.

Herbology and Astronomy were absolutely awful in this subzero weather. Professors Sinistra and Sprout didn't see the snow as a hindrance and we were outside in the conditions a lot. Astronomy wasn't awful as Draco was there and spent most of the class with his arms wrapped around me when Professor Sinistra wasn't paying attention. I didn't have his warmth for Double Herbology and had to suffer the snow with Ernie instead.

"Watch it," I mumbled when he bumped into me as I was carrying freshly seeded and potted grass to the back corner of the greenhouse.

"You were in my way," he commented with a raised eyebrow.

"Don't be a dirty sprout about it, you were in mine," I replied as I set down the pot of dirt and smiled at my pun.

"Why do I even talk to you," Ernie snorted as he lightly punched my shoulder.

"You thrive in the attention Hannah and I give you unlike this stupid pot of grass that won't grow," I answered shortly.

"You literally just planted it not fifteen minutes ago."

"What's your point?" I asked.

"You were looking for another opportunity to make a plant related joke and it failed," Ernie explained.

"The grass is always greener on the other side!" I said smugly.

"This conversation is over," he said turning away from me.

"My puns grow on you faster than—"

"Than the stupid grass, yes, now shut up," Ernie called over his shoulder as he walked off.

I spent the remainder of Double Herbology staring at my potted grass and contemplating other ways to annoy Ernie before Professor Sprout had us lined up and led us back to the castle for dinner.

Hannah wasn't there right away and I instantly noticed that Neville Longbottom was also conveniently missing from the Gryffindor table.

"Say, Ern," I said softly while tugging at his sleeve. "Where's Hannah and Neville?"

"Neville? Why would I know where Longbottom is? Hannah's right over there!" He said gesturing to the side entrance.

"You know they like each other, right?" I prompted as Hannah wove through the students to get to us.

"The whole school does, wake up, Davis," he said with a wink.

When Hannah reached us, she was partially out of breath but looked quite excited. As we waited for her to regain her composure, I noted her hand was buried deep in the pocket of her robes and she was fidgeting the other uncharacteristically.

"Are you all right?" I asked once she was breathing regularly.

"I just met with Neville and Ginny in the Room of Requirement. We're continuing the D. A. meetings," she chimed with a bright smile.