Chapter 21: More Summer Shenanigans

The first day of summer rolled in with clear morning skies and puffy white clouds. I stretched and rolled lazily over in my bed to check the digital clock for the time: 11:37am. I blinked and then rubbed my eyes in order to clear the sleep that had built up at the corners of my eyes during the night hours. It was so peacefully quiet, just laying there knowing that my brother was safe from harm and that I now had three months to do whatever with Ernie and Hannah. Also, how wonderful it was to know I didn't have to get up early for classes.

Pushing my tangle of sheets back, I sat up and noticed an opened envelope sitting on my night stand. Draco's letter was still there though it was hardly classifiable as a letter being only composed of four words and his initials. It was still a reminder that he hadn't killed Professor Dumbledore and that it had been Professor Snape. I pondered on Snape's betrayal of his long time colleague while I got dressed. Everyone at school that wasn't in Slytherin had stereotyped him as evil and cruel, but Dumbledore had seemed to think otherwise. All it took were two words to seal the betrayal. Two words and a flash of green light and that was the end of Dumbledore.

I shrugged off the notion that Snape had known he would have to kill the Headmaster because Snape knew how weak Draco was. I didn't like to think of this as premeditated murder on Snape's part. It was all too confusing and overwhelming to fathom so I simply let it slide and made my way down to lunch as the clock now read 12:04pm.

"She's awake, alert, and dressed! Impressive, sleep well, dear?" My father asked from behind his usual cup of coffee and newspaper. His hair was sticking out in various directions and his glasses sat crookedly on his nose.

"Perfectly well, thank you," I responded plopping down on the sofa next to him.

"You know Johnny got up this morning at 8:00am sharp and went off to that girl—what's her name—Genevieve's house?" He asked incredulously.

"Johnny? Up early? I thought that only pertained to Christmas or his birthday!" I exclaimed in mock surprise.

"It came as quiet a shock to your father and I."

My mother's unmistakable voice sent that remark from the kitchen.

"Morning, Mum," I called in her direction.

"It's the afternoon," she responded unamused.

"Good afternoon to you, too," I grumbled so she couldn't hear me. Dad chuckled, but I couldn't tell if it was from my sarcastic greeting or something off the funny pages.

"Davis, what do you plan to do this summer?" Mum asked.

I got up and left the comfort of the sofa to go speak more directly to her because I didn't imagine Dad would appreciate me yelling all my responses to Mum's questions over his head. I stalked over to my chair at the freshly cleaned dining room table and took my usual seat so I was near enough to Mum I wouldn't need to shout.

"Honestly, I'm guessing it will be a lot of time spent hanging out with Hannah and Ernie," I confessed as I fiddled with a placemat.

"You always go out to their houses and drive them around. Why not bring them over for a change? It seems like forever since I last saw them. Who was that other guy? Zeke or something? Isn't he part of your little gang?" She quizzed me.

"I'd love to have them all over, I'm sure it'd be great fun! No, it's not Zeke, his name was Zach and we had a bit of a falling out during the school year. I don't think I'll be seeing much of him anytime soon," I admitted sullenly.

"Well, darling, if he caused such drama in your life, you needn't worry about him. Whoever is meant to stay in your life will stay," Mum said soothingly.