Chapter 5: Professor's Pet

Hannah didn't wake me up the next day. Instead, she dressed quietly and slipped up to breakfast before I was up. That meant she must have known somehow about last night. Maybe she heard me cry or maybe it was because of how late I came back from the Common Room. Susan pestered me so I eventually got up. She left after I had been up for ten minutes so I took a freezing cold shower.

After I finished washing and dressing, I quickly glanced at my reflection in the mirror. I adjusted my hair to my liking, pushed over to the side today, and forever thanked my glasses for making it seem as though my eyes were fine. No one would see the blood-shot, red veins unless they paid excruciating attention to detail.

When I made it to breakfast, there were only five minutes remaining so I snuck some toast and started down towards Potions alone. I went alone because I had made the mistake of glancing over to the table and noted my friends' expressions. The looks from Ernie and Hannah had made in my direction made me want to disappear and Zach, well, if looks could kill, I'd be six feet under ground. Right now, that's just where I wanted to be.

I got to Potions early and finished my toast outside Slughorn's door. Two minutes until class. Would Zach even acknowledge me? What was going to happen at lunch? What about Herbology and Charms? Suddenly, I was somewhat thankful for Malfoy sitting next to me in Potions and Defense Against The Dark Arts. Charms, lunch, and Herbology set my teeth on edge though.

Other students started coming down the hallway and I instantly felt horrible. They all laughed and whispered, sharing secrets that wouldn't tear apart their friend groups. I stood all alone waiting for Slughorn to open the door. Before he got there, I caught Zach's eyes. He was at the back of the crowd, alone as well. There wasn't a hint of recognition in his dull eyes. He seemed so detached yet full of emotion. I tore my gaze away and followed the other students into Potions.

I sat down at the table and Malfoy joined me shortly. He kept glancing at me curiously as though I were very interesting. I glued my eyes in the direction of Zach who pointedly sat with his back to me. I was so busy memorizing his hair that it didn't register Malfoy was talking to me.

"Nine, are you actually listening to anything I've said?" He snapped causing me to jump and face him.

"Sorry, what?"

"While you were staring at Smith's head, Professor Slughorn told us to start brewing Draught of The Living Dead. We only have an hour so I'll ask you again, do you have your textbook and cauldron?" He asked impatiently.

"Yeah," I muttered hauling out my textbook and went to the closet to grab my cauldron.

It was imperative I keep it together all day.

That actually came easier than planned. Turned out that Malfoy and I were both excellent at Potions meaning I didn't have to do all the work. It felt off, like I should've helped more, but in forty five minutes, we had it nearly perfect. Harry Potter had it more perfect, apparently. He won a vial of Felix Felicis for being extra amazing at potion making.

During this whole fiasco of working with Malfoy, I hadn't thought about Zach once.

The last fifteen minutes of class were dedicated to cleaning up which was very necessary for the poor Gryffindor who had spilled her cauldron everywhere. Malfoy and I had cleaned up in five minutes and were awkwardly sitting at our table. I kept touching my hair and tapping the table waiting for Charms. Maybe I could skip? Maybe I—

"Would you stop tapping? It's distracting," Malfoy scoffed pulling me from my internal monologue.

"What? Right, sorry," I mumbled running both hands through my hair instead.