Chapter 14: Home For The Holidays

The next three days passed rather quickly and before we knew it, Friday was here. Tomorrow was the start of Christmas break which meant Johnny and I would be home with our parents. While he was really excited about going home, I was less so. The amount of homework we were assigned lessened and so far today, the only homework I was assigned by Professor Flitwick was to have a great Christmas break. Zach was enjoying messing around during Astronomy and kept claiming he had discovered a new star.

"Look straight up there and you can see it," he said excitedly.

"In case you have forgotten for some unknown reason, the sky has been overcast since the end of November. That means there is no way humanly possible that to see the stars let alone find a new one!" I chided him.

"No, really, it's right there!"

"Zach, come on, there are nothing but clouds up there!"

"Davis look! Please?"

I sighed angrily and looked up at the section of sky he was brandishing his finger at: a giant cloud.

"Way to go, there's nothing up there," I huffed at Zach.

"Made you look," he said winking.

"I do not have time for this," I said shaking me head.

"We have an hour or did you forget that for some unknown reason?"

"Shut up," I hissed.

"Lighten up a little," he said.

"I'm not the sun!" I practically shouted.

Zach was laughing way too hard and other students were staring. Parvati Patil was glaring at us and Lavender Brown eyed us with repulsion. I elbowed Zach in the ribs.

"What gives?" He groaned clutching his stomach.

"People are staring so stop it," I mumbled.

Zach glanced over at Lavender and glared right back. She rolled her eyes and looked away.

"Problem solved," he said smugly.

"I'm not sure that qualifies as a solution," I responded.

"Whatever, you have to admit that was a funny joke," Zach chuckled.

"I guess it was," I said hiding a laugh.

Transfiguration was dull as Professor McGonagall had us taking notes from the moment we sat down until class was dismissed. My hand was cramping horribly about halfway through the lesson and I had ink smudges all over my fingers. I watched and saw other students were struggling to keep up with McGonagall as well. Seamus Finnigan had snapped his quill in half and completely given up while Dean Thomas was scratching hurriedly over his third piece of parchment. A few others had given up in taking adequate notes and were occasionally scribbling a line or two down. I craned my neck to get a look at Zach. He was sound asleep on top of his textbook. Professor McGonagall didn't seem to notice the struggles of the class and kept going on about what happens if a wizard becomes stuck between his or her regular form and the form he or she was trying to transfigure into. Frankly, I didn't care enough and just wanted lunch. Thirty minutes later, everyone was staggering out the door and down to the Great Hall. Zach wouldn't stop yawning and my right hand was entirely numb.