Chapter 16: The Kids Are Alright

The Quidditch match was this morning. Against Ravenclaw, I was sure there was zero chance our team would win. Cho Chang was the best Seeker Ravenclaw had ever seen and the two Beaters, Jason Samuels and Duncan Inglebee, were particularly skilled in sending Bludger's at the opposing team. Of the three Chaser's, Chambers and Bradley were downright awful in the air, but Roger Davies was fast and had almost perfect aim. The last game we had gone against Ravenclaw in had ended in pure annihilation. I saw no reason that it wouldn't be the same this time.

I headed to breakfast for a small meal and then down to the locker room to change. Ernie must've already gone down to the stands or maybe was sleeping in. I selected a piece of toast and a cup of regular orange juice and began spreading jam. A small commotion rose up at the Gryffindor table and I craned my neck to catch a glimpse of Katie Bell. She had finally returned from St. Mungos. I watched as Harry Potter confronted her about something. She was shaking her head when Harry turned around and bolted. I frowned and looked after him. He was chasing Malfoy in the direction of the boy's bathroom. I wanted to go investigate, but realized I was needed elsewhere for Quidditch. Zach was no where to be seen again as I walked through the snowy air down to the pitch. The only good thing about today was my brand new broomstick. I met Anthony, Elliot, and Malcolm down near our goal posts and spotted Heidi and Maxine on their way over as well.

"Has anyone seen our Team Captain?" I asked when the six of us gathered around each other.

"He's still in the locker room," Anthony answered.

"What for?" I asked.

"Strategic maneuvers have to be thought out by someone," a voice snapped from behind us.

"We've been planning this from the start of the season though," I said.

"Like we stand a chance," Zach sneered.

"That's the spirit, Captain," I grumbled back.

"It's Ravenclaw! What chance do we have?"

"You could tell us your strategic maneuvers. Then we might actually stand a chance."

"Fine. Everyone shut up and listen: Samuels crashed during practice over Christmas and messed up his shoulder. Inglebee fell off his broom the same practice and sprained his good wrist. We won't have to worry about Bludger's this round. I want our Beater's on the double this time. Roger seems a little off today meaning that the lead Chaser for Ravenclaw may fail for the first time. Our Chasers need to be aware of this and take advantage of it. The other Chasers and Cho Chang are still functioning. I also heard from Madam Hooch that their Keeper bailed on them so the Chaser's are going to rotate in and out of that position during that match. When the hoops are open, I expect to see you all down there scoring the hell out of it. And Summerby," he hissed spinning around on the poor boy. "You catch that Snitch like your life depends on it."

Summerby gulped and nodded quickly. I glanced over at the Ravenclaw huddle. Zach wasn't lying, the Keeper was missing.I still felt they were going to beat us. Roger Davies kept looking around and he seemed rather paranoid. A paranoid Team Captain and Chaser was not good for their team's morale.

"How did you find this all out?" Heidi bravely asked.

"Let's just say Roger doesn't keep quiet about this kind of stuff in the locker room. He kept asking the Beater's if they felt better and panicking over the missing Keeper," Zach said smugly.

"You don't think he's just putting on this act to make us feel like we can win, do you?" Malcolm asked worriedly.

"He doesn't mess around like that. If something is wrong, you can count on him to panic," Zach grinned evilly.