Chapter 12: Suspicions Confirmed

One week later, the castle was in full swing of things. Christmas things. The Great Hall had a specially decorated evergreen in each corner for each of the houses. False snow was bound to fall at any given moment and there was an alarming amount of mistletoe strung around the hallways.

"Is this all really necessary?" I asked at breakfast as Ernie delighted in making it snow on my eggs.

"One word for you, Davis, Christmas Spirit!" He chimed.

"That's two, genius," I mumbled wiping at the now-covered-in-snow scrambled eggs.

"It was still necessary," he added.

I blew a puff of snow at his face and Ernie spent the next few minutes combing through his hair in order to get it all out.

"Do any of you have any idea what you want for Christmas?" Hannah asked lightly as she sprinkled salt over her plate of eggs.

"I'd like a few more plaid shirts," I said.

"I want to be able to drive like you do," Zach grinned.

"What?" I wrinkled my nose at him.

"I want to learn how to drive one of those Muggle cars," he clarified.

"Maybe this summer I'll let you take it for a spin around the block," I pondered aloud. "What about you, Hannah?"

"I could always do with a few more sweaters, maybe some candy or chocolates," she said dreamily.

"I want a doughnut," Ernie said to no one in particular.

"You'll have to wait until summer break!" I told him.

"That's forever away."

"Use a Time-Turner, I heard you can travel through time with them," Zach mocked Ernie.

Ernie shoved Zach and Zach shoved back. Before Hannah or I could stop the two of them from wrestling with each other, the weekly parliament of owls swooped in. Packages and letters fluttered down to eager hands or landed on half-eaten breakfasts. A letter landed next to my pumpkin juice, Hannah got a small package from her mother, Ernie got a letter, and Zach as well. I opened mine carefully because it wasn't either of my parent's handwriting.

The creased parchment inside revealed it to be an invitation from Professor Slughorn:

'Dear Miss Nine,

I have much enjoyed having you as a prize student in my Potions class this year. It would be wonderful if you would attend a small Christmas party I am hosting this evening in my office. I do believe that it would be a nice little gesture on my part to host this and also, it would be fine if you brought a guest to accompany you. Refreshments and snacks will be provided. Hope to see you there and wishing you a Happy Christmas,

-Professor Slughorn'

"That's an interesting expression, someone send you something repulsive?" Hannah asked tugging on my sleeve.

"It's just an invitation to Slughorn's Christmas party. He's having one tonight in his office and I'm supposed to bring a friend," I explained scanning the parchment again.

"Take Malfoy!" Zach piped up instantly.

"Are you out of your mind? No!" I said. "I was considering asking you but if you're going to be an ass, I don't think so."

"Don't take me," Ernie mumbled with his mouth full of oatmeal.

"Yeah, you don't like parties much," I nodded in agreement.