Home

Mady's POV

I grinned like a maniac when Hogwarts came into view. I was finally home again. "Mady you all right?" Asked Lily

"Yeah, why?"

"Well you look like the Cheshire Cat." I laughed, she was probably right. "I'm just happy to be home." The train lurched to a stop and I hurried everyone out. "Its great to be back isn't it?" They all nodded. We walked to the carriages that took us up to the school. The four of us climbed into one and put up our feet, trying to take up as much space as possible so no more people could get in.

Once the carriages started to move forward, a thought occurred to me. "Lils, what makes the carriages move." I wondered. "Thestrals. I read about them in Hogwarts, a History" she replied in a matter of fact tone. "You can only see them if you've witnessed someone die."

On that happy note, we reached the gates that opened up to the grounds. As we walked through the large doors that led to the great wall, I heard James proclaiming his love for Lily somewhere behind us and I laughed. I gazed up at the ceiling in awe. Every time I start a new year it still amazes me when I look at it. I could find and name all the constellations. My older brother Mikey taught me about all of them. He was the most bearable person in my family, aside from my great uncle Barry who isn't allowed to come to parties anymore after he had a pie eating contest with a house elf. Mikey was in Slytherin, but I think the sorting hat put him there because he was too scared of our mother.

"It really is amazing isn't it?" Sirius popped up next to me and put his arm around my shoulder. James tried the same move but Lily pointed her wand at him and his arm immediately stuck to his side. "Yeah it's great." I said to Sirius and removed his arm from my shoulder. "No witty comeback? He'll start getting it into his head that you actually like him" Alice said as soon as I sat down next to her.

"Where on earth would he get that idea?"

Knowing that Sirius was eavesdropping I decided to tell the truth so he might take a hint. "I would never like someone who picks on first years." The two boys both looked at each other and smirked. "Not to mention they never pay attention in class." I added." They were completely oblivious to the fact that we knew they were listening.

"I can't wait for classes to start." Said James loudly.

"Yeah. We should be nicer to other students this year James." Added Sirius in an obnoxiously loud voice.

"Especially the Slytherins."

They looked across the table at Remus who was facepalming so hard. He sighed and chimed in "wow you two sure have changed" he then looked at the two of us apologetically.

Two Weeks Later

For the past two weeks, Sirius and James have been getting to class first so they can sit directly in front of us. This gives us an opportunity to watch them write the scribbles over again on a piece of paper in an attempt to look like they are taking notes. For the first two days after the sorting, they didn't bully anyone. Then they couldn't go any longer and somehow filled all the pillows in the boys dormitories with water balloons. A spell keeps boys from getting into the girls dormitories, but I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow got around it soon.

Lily and I were in the library, studying for our OWLS when Remus, James, and Sirius walked in. They all looked like they had been to hell and back. They had cuts and bruises all over their faces, not to mention, huge bags under their eyes. "What did we study last night in astronomy?" Asked James quietly. "We studied the constellations as they moved across the sky." I said warily. "Are there star maps in here?" Asked Sirius. "Um yeah. Are you okay?" I asked, they nodded. "What happened?" Questioned Lily. "We tried to prank a seventh year but he fought back." Sirius said quickly. "Would you quit the interrogation and show us where the star maps are."