The Map

Lily's Pov
I watched Mady disappear through the portrait hole and I grabbed Alice's arm. "Where are we going?" She asked as I pulled her up the stairs. "We're going to visit James for some reason." I muttered in frustration. I paused outside the door as soon as I heard yelling. I'm guessing Sirius, yelled "What on earth is she doing? Is she insane?"

I looked at Alice and saw her roll her eyes. She opened up the door and walked straight in. "She can handle herself Sirius, for Christ's sake, she's not a four year old." She ranted. "Besides, how do you even know she left, you four are hiding up here?"

I followed her and walked over to James. He was intently staring at a piece of parchment while Sirius was screaming into a pillow in frustration. "Hey." I said to him quietly. "What's this?"

He grabbed my hand and pulled me over to the bed. I looked down at the paper and realized that it was a moving map of Hogwarts. "Do you know how illegal this is?" I asked him. "No but I'm guessing the answer is very." He said.  "So that's Mady right there?" I pointed to the footprints that had her name next to them. She was right next to someone named Thea Nightingale. "Yeah." He said. "Mady was way more impressed with this then you seem to be."

"Uh oh." I said as I noticed the two figures walking towards them. "What?! Why 'uh oh?" Sirius asked and he rushed over to the map, followed by Alice.

"Bellatrix and Narcissa, those bitches." He muttered. "That's it I'm going after her."

"Sirius you can't!" I said. "She's going to be fine." But he still turned to leave so I grabbed his arm. "Sirius! She'd never forgive us if we let you go after her." He sighed and came back over to the map. Mady was running from the sisters and the other girl was right behind her.

We all watched in silence as they ran through the castle. I smiled and breathed a sigh of relief when the staircase changed direction, leading Bellatrix and Narcissa away from Mady and Thea. I almost thought they were in the clear whenI noticed the were heading toward Walburga Black. I didn't know much about her but I did know that she was a terrible person. "No, no, no, no, no." Sirius whispered.

I watched, completely helpless, as she ran straight into Mrs Black. She didn't hesitate to run in the opposite direction. She was on the sixth floor now, running down the main hall on that floor.

I watched in horror as she turned into another hall and disappeared along with Thea. I turned to James, "She's just gone. What does that mean?" I asked. Everyone was silent. "James! Why is she gone? She's not dead! She can't be." I said.

"Lily..." He said in a sad voice. He reached out to touch my shoulder. I sank down onto the floor and he wrapped his arms around me.

My best friend was dead and it was all my fault. "I shouldn't have let her go out there by herself. I should've stopped her." I whispered. "No shh. You know Mady, when she gets an idea into her head there's no stopping her." James whispered. "It's not your fault."

I looked over at Sirius. There were tears running down his cheeks. His hands were shaking and he looked up at me. All the light that once shone in his eyes was completely gone. He looked so hopeless, so lost. Alice stood up and began to walk over to us. I could see tears pooling up in her eyes too.

She was halfway across the room when something collided with her. It was large enough to knock her over and it seemed to appear out of nowhere. I wiped the tears from my eyes and tried to clear my vision to see what had happened.

It took awhile to wipe away the tears but eventually I saw that the thing that had fell on Alice was a person. People actually, there were two of them. On top was a little girl, probably a first year, she had bright red hair just like me. She climbed off the others and looked around bewildered. "Mady, where are we?" She asked. The other person groaned and rolled off of Alice onto the floor. I raced over to her and pushed the hair out of her face.

It was Mady.