The End

I sat in the carriage, squished between Sirius and Peter. My hands nervously fiddled with the frayed edges on the carriage cushions. What if they don't like me? The thought kept running through my head. I desperately needed James's parents to like me. My parents hated me, Sirius's parents hated me, Lily's parents didn't remember me, and Remus's parents 'disapproved' of me.

Sirius put his hand on mine to stop me from single handily destroying the upholstery with my fidgeting. He gave my hand a reassuring squeeze and flashed his lopsided smile. "They're going to love you." He leaned in to whisper in my ear. I smiled weakly and kept a tight hold on his hand. That wasn't the only thing I was worried about. By my calculations, I had about three months before I ran out of money and I lost the flat at Diagon Alley. With what I make over the summer, maybe I could keep it for another couple months. Maybe.

The carriage halting to a stop jolted me out of my thoughts and I stood up to leave. When everyone was out I hung behind slightly with Lily. "If you don't want to sit with them we can get a separate compartment like usual." I offered quietly. I knew that hanging out with the Marauders wasn't always her first choice.

"No." She shook her head. "I want to sit with them." I smiled at her and we walked faster to catch up with the others.

We boarded the train and James kicked a couple first years out of The Marauders usual compartment. I put my bags on the shelf and sat down next to the window. Sirius quickly claimed the seat next to me before anyone else could. I was glad he did because that meant I could rest my head on his shoulders for the ride.

I hadn't had a full nights sleep in months and it was definitely showing in the dark circles under my eyes. Sirius settled in next to me and grabbed my hand which made me smile.

My eyelids began to droop due to sleep deprivation and I rested my head on his chest where I had fallen asleep many times before. I felt myself quickly begin to drift off and just as I was about to lose consciousness I felt someone grab my shoulders and shake me. "No sleeping in our compartment VanCourt" James chided me.

"I haven't slept since before exams. I'm going to fall asleep and you're going to deal with it." I told him and he grunted in response. "Yeah James, let my sleep deprived girlfriend take a nap." Sirius quickly joined the conversation and I smiled. Sirius was good at making me smile which was a hard thing to do these days. Even Alice had trouble with it occasionally. No one me smile like Sirius did. Lily was the only exception to that of course.

I felt Sirius run his hands through my hair and I took a deep breath, he smelled like old parchment and fresh laundry. I closed my eyes again and this time I drifted off into a deep sleep.

-------

I slept soundly for the whole ride and only woke up when the train came to a screeching halt at the station. "Rise and shine sleeping beauty!" James shouted in my ear and I winced.

I stood up and got my trunk down from the top shelf. We slowly made our way off the train and almost immediately a kind looking woman walked up to us. Her husband was right behind her. "Hello darlings." She called out and offered a cart to put our stuff on. "Ah! There are my boys!" She smiled and pulled James's in for a suffocating hug. He grinned, embarrassed and quickly moved on to hug his dad. Sirius beamed at her and kissed her on the cheek when she hugged him. She then looked expectantly at the two boys.

"Dear lord boys, I didn't raise you to be impolite. Introduce your father and I to these lovely ladies." She scolded and the two quickly rushed over to Lily and I.

"Mrs Potter, this is my girlfriend Madilin VanCourt." Sirius said with a dramatic flourish of his arms. Multiple families around us shifted uncomfortably at the mention of my last name but Mrs Potter just smiled widely. She pulled me in for a hug also and looked amused. "It's wonderful to finally meet you darling. Sirius has been talking about you for ages." She told me.

"Oh really?" I asked and eyed Sirius with an amused look.

"Yes. Every single year he comes home and starts gushing about what Mady did, or said, or wore during the school year." She explained and a giggle escaped my mouth.

"Well Mrs Potter, if you must know, this year Mady said yes when I asked her out and we went on loads of dates in Hogsmeade and it was wonderful." Sirius said and I leaned into his chest slightly. Mr and Mrs Potter both grinned and turned to James and Lily.

"Mum, this is my wonderful friend Lily Evans." James gestured to Lily and Mrs Potter gave her the same heartfelt embrace.

"Well I'm not getting any younger over here kids." Mr Potter said and began to push the large cart toting all of our luggage. "C'mon everyone, grab ahold of us." I grabbed Mrs Potters arm and Sirius held one of her hands. Lily took her other hand and the rest of the boys arranged themselves with Mr Potter.

"Is everyone ready?" He asked and we all muttered and incoherent yes. With that, we disapperated. I felt the familiar sensation wrench my gut in multiple directions at once and soon the Potter's living room began to take shape. "Well." James made a grand gesture with his arms and spun at the living room.

"Welcome home everyone!"