Christmas Eve Eve

Mady's Pov

Tomorrow was Christmas Eve, and my mother was freaking out. Apparently,the wrong curtains were ordered and the whole party was ruined.

Andromeda, Sam, Cassiopeia, and I hid in the library, trying to avoid the madness.

Nobody noticed we were missing and nobody bothered us. I felt kind of awkward around Cassiopeia.

Most of the time she was nice, but every so often she'd say something incredibly rude and irritating.

"I hate all this party planning", grumbled Andy. "It's incredibly stressful, besides, they won't let me eat any of the food. I'm really hungry."

I laughed. "I feel you sister. My mom's been planning this since August." We laughed and continued our game of wizard chess.

I was winning against Andy and Cassie was the scorekeeper/babysitter. This was a very important role established after sam crawled onto the board and started chewing on a knight.

"Ugh, why do you do this to me?" Groaned Andromeda. I laughed , "I'm just super skilled, you'll learn someday Andy." She shoved me playfully.

"No! No! No! This isn't right!" I heard from somewhere else in the manor.

The three of us laughed, we'd been hearing comments like this all day. "She's going to shred her vocal cords." Cassiopeia commented.

"Checkmate!" I half shouted at Andromeda. She glared at me, "one of these day you're gonna be found dead on the floor and no one will be able to prove it was me." She said jokingly.

"You guys have one screwed up relationship." Said Cassiopeia. Andy laughed, "you have no idea."

A loud cracking sound killed the laughter and scared the shit out of us. "Madilin!" My aunt Victoria exclaimed in her shrill voice. " Your mother has been looking everywhere for you. She's been so stressed and you should be helping her, not wasting your time playing some stupid game."

I sighed and took Sammy out of Cassie's arms. "I'm coming." I groaned. She looked down at me disapprovingly, and grabbed my arm.

We apperated into the ballroom. My mother looked about ready to tear her hair out. "Where have you been? I've been slaving away while you've been gallivanting around the house, doing whatever the hell teenagers do these days. When I was your age-"

"Let me guess, you played kick the can until dark?" I said sarcastically.

The nearby relatives looked at me in horror, none of their perfect little children would ever say something like that.

My mom sighed, "don't speak to me in that tone young lady." She said sternly. "I need you to help the elves with the paper lanterns."

It certainly wasn't the worst job, I basically just told the elves where to hang them up and what height to hang them at.

I had them going in a criss cross pattern around the room and they actually looked pretty cool.

"Your lighting abilities are quite impressive." Said Sirius from behind me.

"I'm so skilled aren't I?" I said sarcastically and grinned. "You're in a strangely good mood today." He said, "I'm kind of jealous."

"The happier I seem to be, the more they'll leave me alone." I explained. "Does that actually work?"

"I try and tell myself it does." I said and continued telling the house elves where to put the lights. "Can you hold Sam for me?" I asked.

"Uh... sure." He reached out for the toddler and held him like a newborn baby. I chuckled, "he can support his head, you don't need to hold him like that."

"I don't know anything about little kids." He said, "my parents never trusted me with Regulus, why would anyone even want a baby? They're smelly, and loud, and they can't do anything for themselves."

"They are adorable though." I said, and looked at him like he was a little kid. "Here let me have him." I took him out of Sirius's arms and repositioned him so he was being held the right way.

"There, all better." I said. He seemed incredibly weirded out by Sam. I loved kids, I didn't want any of my own though. Being pregnant seemed like the worst thing in the world. When my mom was pregnant with Sam it felt like nine months of torture, for her and us. Kids weren't really something I saw in my future.

Sirius waved his hand in front of my face. "Come back to reality Mady, I need help." Sam was waving his hands around and yelling. "Mady! Mady, Mady, Mady! Mackey!"

Sirius was getting increasingly confused, "what's going on? What is he trying to say?"

"He's hungry, Mac n' cheese. It's his favorite." His yelling got louder and people were staring. Sirius was becoming alarmed. "What do we do?"

I sighed. "Come on." We walked to the kitchens with a struggling Sam. "Why is he doing this." Asked Sirius, "Mackey!" Sam yelled again.

I heated up the yellow mush in the microwave and poured it into a bowl. "That looks disgusting." Sirius said. I rolled my eyes and began feeding Sam.

"The ball tomorrow is going to be hell." I groaned. "It's not that bad." Sirius said.

"I have to wear a dress and heels for 8 hours straight."

"On the bright side, you're going to look great." He said.

"Well that makes me so much more excited." I said, sarcastically. "Yeah, it'll be great." He said and smiled. "Speaking of the ball, will you dance with me this year." He asked hopefully.

"I dance with you every year, our parents make us." I pointed out. "I know but I want to tell James that I asked you to dance and you said yes." He reasoned.

"Y'know, for some odd reason, I want to dance with you less."

"Less rhymes with yes!" He said excitedly. "I don't think you're hearing what I'm saying." I explained to him.

"All I'm hearing is the word yes." He yelled above my voice. "That's not what I'm saying!" I half shouted.

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" He shouted. I glared at him, annoyed. "Not every girl wants to dance with  you." I said. "Well lucky for you, you'll have me all to yourself."

One moment we were acting like civilized people, and the next we're five year olds. Our fight was escalating. I was yelling about his ego. He was yelling about how I never gave him a chance.

It was a big hot mess until Regulus walked in. "What is up with you two?" He asked. "You're like an old married couple."

I ignored the last part. "Your brother is being a prick." I told him. "She's being a-"

"You do realize I don't care right?" He interrupted Sirius. I glared at him, "you used to be a fun person to hangout with. Then you just had to grow up."

He stomped off, and I felt slightly proud that I got him to leave so quickly. I turned back to Sirius and took Sam out of his arms. "I'll be in the ballroom if you need me." I said curtly, and walked away.

A/N hey guys!!!!!!! I didn't really know how to end this so I just cut it off right here. I am really excited to write about the party and that will be in the next chapter.