I Find a Magical Curtain of Doom

In the past month we have had a total of fifteen Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers.  The longest one of them ever lasted was four days. She was tough to get rid of but we did it.  We managed to run off one in a matter of minutes.

I still haven't managed to get Sirius to tell me how he knows where the kitchens were but he did let slip that he also knew where the Ravenclaw common room was. I didn't know how that was even possible. I've started helping the boys with their pranks. I never thought I'd help them or even be friends with them but it does help take my mind off things like Death Eaters and Voldemort.

It's been getting harder and harder to think about things other than that though. Lately I can't stop thinking about Sam. I wrote to Andromeda for advice and she offered to take care of him until I could. According to the adoption agency woman, he is at Andromeda's and he loves being with the new baby. I've been wondering if I should write to my mother and let her know what I decided for him. I think she would like to know but I dread the thought of getting a howler for my decision to put him with someone who is a blood traitor in their eyes.

I was in the middle of a dream about an old Christmas party when I felt someone shaking me violently. I opened my eyes to find a terrified looking Alice.

"Alice it's three am." I groaned glancing at the clock.  "Why are you awake?" She pulled me out of bed and dragged me to the window.  At first all I saw was clouds but after I rubbed my eyes I recognized a shape that was all too familiar. "That's the dark mark." I said in horror. "Alice you know what this means."

"He's here isn't he? How can he be here? This is wrong. This place is full of kids, there are little kids here!" She whimpered. We both looked at Lily and I rushed over to her.

We shook her until her eyes opened slowly. "You better have a damn good reason for waking me up this early." She grumbled.

"Lily, you have to hide. Quick!" I said.

"What's going on?" She sat up in bed and looked around confused. Suddenly McGonagall's voice came on over the loud speaker. "All students must go to their common rooms immediately! No one shall leave until prefects receive instructions." She sounded panicked.

Lily immediately got out of bed. "Mady what the hell is going on?" She asked. I pointed to the window and she walked over. Her face kept switching between shock and fear.  We grabbed our wands and rushed downstairs to the common room. 

About a hundred students were there and most of them looked absolutely petrified. I saw one first year sitting in a corner with tears running down her cheeks. James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter were nowhere to be found.  I rolled my eyes and walked toward the stairs that led up to the boys dormitories but Alice grabbed my arm.  "Where do you think you're going?" She asked.

"I'm just going to find Sirius and James and them." I assured her. "I'll only be gone for a few minutes." She reluctantly let go of me and I hurried up the stairs to the boys dormitories. The upstairs hallway was mostly empty and I ran up to their door. I didn't bother knocking as I walked into their dorm.

The first thing I noticed was that it was incredibly filthy. I tried not to visibly cringe at the smell of sweat and awful cologne. The four boys were crowded around a piece of paper on the floor.

The didn't notice me at first so I cleared my throat.  They all jumped at the sound of me and Sirius quickly stashed the paper under his bed. "Good lord Mady! Don't you knock?" James asked annoyed. "What were you four looking at?" I asked.

They all exchanged glances and I grew annoyed with them. "Hogwarts might be attacked by Death Eaters soon and you four are crowding around a piece of paper. What could be so important that you would risk your lives for?" I demanded. They continued to be silent. I walked over and Sirius stood up to block my path.