I'm Back

I walked through the large doorway, my legs shaking. Everything seemed bigger than I remembered.

"Sirius's mother is here, he got disowned." My mother said, like I didn't already know.

"Yeah I know."

"How?"

"He's at my flat." I said, without further explanation, leaving my mother throughly confused.

"You own a flat? How do you pay rent?" She asked concerned.

"I have a job, not to mention a large amount of money in my vault at Gringotts." I said like it was obvious.

"Where do you w-"

I cut her off, "mum, I'm not your daughter anymore. You don't need to pretend you care about my life because I came to drop off Sam and get my stuff. That's it."

She almost looked hurt. "You can find your way to your room I hope. We haven't touched your stuff much." She said stiffly and walked away with Sammy.

I wandered the empty halls on the way to my room. They seemed old and lonely, like a castle that hadn't been touched in years.

Everything stood out more. The cold walls seemed like a different color. When I lived here I walked by them everyday. I knew they had a color but it just sort of blended in with everything else.

I didn't realize how boring they were. It was a crème color that didn't stand out but it made everything pop. I bet my mother took hours to pick it out, and in the end nobody would notice it.

That seemed sad to me. I found myself wondering what else I hadn't noticed before. Everything seemed colder, more distant.

I climbed the set of stairs towards my room. I stopped at the door to my room. I didn't want to open it. The last time I opened it I was running away and I thought I'd never come back.

Now here I was again.

I tools deep breath and opened the door. Everything was so familiar; the fairy lights, the color of the walls, the countless books stack up along the walls.

My mom was right, they hadn't touched anything. A thick layer of dust had settled on the furniture and nothing was out of place.

I could smell the scent of my old perfume and I stood there in the doorway, taking it all in.

I walked over to my closet where, just as I left it, my bag with an undetectable extension charm.

I got it for my 11th birthday from my parents. It was a "congratulations! You aren't a squib!" present. The only useful thing they ever gave me. Aside from life I guess.

I pulled it out and began stuffing all my random crap into it. I started with the obvious: clothes, shoes. Then I moved onto the other stuff.

I put in some picture frames, way too much makeup for any one girl, perfume, a curling iron. Mikey used to make fun of me for owning so much makeup. I wasn't too insecure, and I wasn't boy crazy, I just loved how I looked in makeup.

The charm on my bag helped with weight too so I could still manage to carry things out the door. It would take a few trips but I could get all the small things today.

I found the nearest fireplace and use floo powder to get back to the flat.

Sirius was waiting for me when I opened the door. He jumped off the couch and rushed over to me.