In Which James is a Terrible Liar

Mady's Pov
"James you are a complete idiot!" Sirius shouted at the top of his lungs and I prayed that the walls were magically soundproofed. "You made a date on Saturday. This Saturday of all days?"

"I'm sorry Sirius it just slipped my mind, I can reschedule." James said but I saw the guilty look in his eyes. "Really Sirius. It's fine, you guys don't have to stay with me every time. I dealt with this long before I met you all." Remus stepped between the two. "Remus Elizabeth Lupin shut your mouth!" Sirius interjected and I choked back a laugh.

"Your middle name is Elizabeth?" I snickered and Remus rolled his eyes. "My middle name John but Sirius changes it every chance he gets."

"Irrelevant!" Sirius shouted. "You made plans this Saturday which as we all know-" he paused and lowered his voice to barely a whisper "is a full moon." He started to walk away but then turned back around to face James. "This isn't cool man. You know how important it is to keep track of this shit."

"Keep track of what?" Lily asked from the doorway. James froze and Remus paled but Sirius and I immediately switched to kind faces. You'd be surprised how good the two of us were at lying. "Our study sessions." The lie rolled right off Sirius's tongue. "Apparently, they have them every Saturday. Haven't missed one in ages." I explained. "They never let me come, I think they're just planning more pranks." I scoffed.

"Nonsense, our study sessions are just very special." Sirius explained.

"What makes them so special?" Lily asked amused. Sirius paused and I turned to him for an explanation.

"Naked!" James blurted out and I watched Sirius's expression turn to sheer horror.

"Naked?" Lily asked and cackled and I broke into hysterical laughter.

"Yes... Naked." James said in a strained voice. "That... That's the way we study so... um." He looked like he was on the verge of a breakdown.

"Are you sure?" Lily asked and raised her eyebrows at me. I just shrugged.

"Oh yeah." Sirius had finally regained his composure. "Remus here gets really shy around people when we do our... naked studying... so it's best if you just leave us be tomorrow when we're studying... naked." He explained. Remus his his face in his hands and Sirius patted him on the back. "See? Poor blokes embarrassed already. You should probably be going."

At this point I was laughing so hard tears were streaming down my face. I followed Lily out of their dorm and she also burst into laughter.

"Naked studying? Those morons." I laughed and she grinned at me. "Lily dear?" I asked.

"Madilin darling?" She replied.

"Can we talk about the fact that you agreed to go out on a date with James Potter?" I smirked at her and she blushed so hard her freckles disappeared. "It's the jaw thing isn't it?" I asked her and she rolled her eyes.

"The jaw thing might be a contributing factor." She admitted. "And the hair thing." She added on after a short pause.

We stopped talking as two boys walked by us in the hall. As soon as they were out of earshot I continued to question her. "Is it just the jaw and the hair or is it personality too?" She thought for a moment and then answered. "I'm far from being in love with him but..." She paused to search for the right words. "He's not who he seems to be when you first meet him. I saw him helping a first year in the hall the other day. I saw him and Sirius talking and I ran over because I assumed they were picking on him but he was crying because he got a detention. I mean normally with guys, what you see is what you get. You scratch the surface and all you find is more surface y'know."

I nodded in agreement. "But with him, when he stops trying to impress me and just treats me like a friend. I like being with him when he's just being him." She explained. I tried to hide my smile but she noticed. "Oh shut it!" She groaned.

"I didn't say anything." I said indignantly.

"You were thinking things."

"I was just thinking about the fact that you're in love with James Potter and his jawline." I smirked and she turned red.

"Oh please, every guys does something attractive, that doesn't mean I'm in love with him. Like that thing Remus does when he rolls up his sleeves before he casts a spell." She tried to defend herself.

"You noticed the sleeve thing too?" I asked excitedly.

"Every girl in our year noticed the sleeve thing. It's why they're all in love with him." She said like it was obvious.

"Have you noticed that thing Sirius does where he loosens his tie at the end of every day?" I asked her curiously and she nodded. "Of course I have he's been doing it for ages. He probably noticed you ogling at him whenever he did it." She smirked evilly and I felt my cheeks flush.

"I wouldn't judge me if I were you." Lily said but I just rolled my eyes and continued walking with her to our dorm.

I opened our door but closed it quickly when i saw what was happening. A mortified shriek cam from our room and Lily looked confused. "Frank and Alice are in our room and they definitely don't have enough clothes on." I explained and she huffed. She opened up the door and walked in anyways. I heard an annoyed Alice and a flustered Frank start to protest. Moments later, Frank exited the room pulling a sweatshirt over his head.

I walked into the room and smiled at my two bickering roommates. I smiled at them and for a moment I forgot all about Voldemort and the Death Eaters. For a moment there was nothing but Hogwarts.