XXV. Sonic the Hedgehog

"Tails," I said, "can you put me down on the ground over there?"

I had pointed to a rock near the sea, away from the fighting. I wanted to set things straight with Tails. The last thing I wanted was for him to be in a bad mood throughout this entire adventure. I was disappointed to see him like this; I had gone through so much to finally see him again.

He dropped me onto the ground, then stood facing me. His arms were folded, his face staring at the ground. I was afraid to say anything. What if I ended up making him even angrier?

"Tails..." I said, bending over to look at his face. "I'm sorry. The amount of time I spent looking for you... I had to work so hard to get you back."

When he didn't respond, I fell to my knees. He stood in the same position, perhaps frowning even more. "I know that it was hard for you. I know whatever was happening to you... I don't even want to think about it. I'm just... I'm so sorry I couldn't get to you faster. I wasn't fast enough... I-"

Before I could continue, Tails lunged at me, hugging me tightly. "Slade wants to kill you, Sonic!" he shouted, tears streaming down his face. "He wants to kill you, Sonic."

I was confused. Slade had had multiple chances to kill me before; he had basically held me prisoner. "Are you sure, buddy?"

He nodded. "He said it to my face, Sonic. He needs you dead."

I looked at his face. "He needs me dead? For what?"

"I don't..." Tails furrowed his brow. "I don't know."

"I promise we're going to get through this, Tails." I said. "And with me alive. I prefer it that way."

"Sonic..." Tails sobbed, "what if we never get home? I just want to go home..."

"Tails," I looked at him straight in the eye, "I'm going to get you home if it's the last thing I do.

"But..." he sniffed.

"I promise."

He smiled. "Okay, I'll believe you."

I gave him another hug, but what Tails had told me distracted me. Why would Slade need me dead? It couldn't have been because of how much I annoyed him. Otherwise, he would have killed me when I 'joined forces' with him. I was sure it had something to do with the Chaos Emeralds. But that was as much as I knew.

"Let's go back and help the Titans, okay?" I asked, standing back up. "They probably need me to win any fight."

He nodded after rolling his eyes, grabbing my hands and propelling me up to the rooftop. I stared up into the sky, waiting to see who our new enemies were. "Who's the loser now, Robin?" I heard the big guy shout.

"Isn't Robin a girl's name?" the guy who had prodded me with something added.

"Will you two can it?" the girl replied, right as I appeared at the top of the tower.

"I'm back!" I cried as I spin dashed into the girl who had made me slip.

"Sonic!" Robin was catching his breath. "Go after Jinx!"

I look around at all the enemies, trying to decide which one was 'Jinx.' There was a blue girl with pink hair, a little guy with all kinds of gadgets, and a giant dude who reminded me a lot of Knuckles. "Uh, Robin?" I called, "which one is that?"

He looked back at me like I was pestering him. "The girl! Take down the girl!"

"Oh!" I replied, looking back at her. She was glaring at me, her eyes seeming to pierce right into me. I knew she had to have the Chaos Emerald. I just had a... feeling.

I charged at her, being careful of whatever her power was. I watched her constantly, barely even blinking. Suddenly, though, she smiled. I skidded to a halt, knowing something was up. A pink ring appeared around her, and she raised her hands into the air. Frowning, I continued to run at her, but something pink appeared under me. My stomach dropped. It looked like the ring that had appeared around Jinx, but it had intricate designs engraved in it. Only slowing down slightly, I looked around, waiting for something to happen.

When I was less than a few yards away from her, my feet suddenly became bound. A pink band was wrapped around my ankles, making me fall on my face and slide across the roof. The more I struggled, the tighter it became.

"Tails!" I called, pulling at the band. It was tight enough that I could barely fit a finger through it. "Some help?"

"Busy!" he replied, and I didn't even see him. Hopefully, he was doing okay. I imagined him fighting the gadget guy.

Jinx stood there, silent, a smile on her face. "I still have tricks up my sleeve." I told her, using my hands to jump up and kick her down with my feet. She wasn't expecting it, so she didn't get the chance to dodge it. I could feel the band loosen, but it didn't give out.

"You brat!" she shouted, her hands balled into fists. She looked angry, and that didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

"Yeah, I know," I tried to charge at her again with my feet, but she got up, waiting for me to do something.

We stood and stared at each other for a few moments, and I was trying to figure out what to do. I had already charged at her, so what else was there to do? She would expect anything else I tried. It's not like I had something to shoot at her.

I slid towards her, waiting for her to flinch, then threw my fist at her. I got a hit on her, but she threw some sort of pink thing at me. It was then I realized she was, like, a master of hexes.

I slipped again when I tried to go near her, spraining my wrist when I tried a handstand. I stood up and grabbed my hand, trying anything to make it stop hurting. "Looks like you're getting really unlucky," Jinx said.

"It's not over yet." I told her, looking from side to side. The other Titans were finishing up. "Tails!" I repeated.

He didn't answer, which worried me. Was it the hex that had been put on me? I gritted my teeth, thinking how mad I would be if Jinx had done anything to him. The anger energized me, making me want to finish the fight quickly. I jumped up on just on hand, catapulting over her. She attempted to put another hex on me, but missed, and I kicked her in her head. The binding on my ankle disappeared, but I still needed Raven for my wrist.

Something shined in a pouch Jinx had around her shoulder. After cocking my head, wondering what it could be I went towards it. Opening it, I found a clear, shiny, Chaos Emerald waiting to be found by me.