XIV. Sonic the Hedgehog

We weren't awoken to Slade's voice the next day, so it was safe to assume that we were free from his curse of orders.

But there was also the problem of both me and Terra being in pain and having nothing to do but waste away a day by sleeping. So that's what we did. We slept. Though there were times both of us woke up in sweats of pain, most of the day was okay.

The next day, however, Slade had a mission. With the dead darkness of the room, when we got to see light again, it didn't feel so great. The pain in my side, however, had subsided to a dull pang, so Terra and I would probably be able to last on a mission,

"O, Masterful One," I mocked, "what gratitude can we show towards you today?"

Slade's eyes seemed to narrow, and my slight smile disappeared. "I want you to blow up the power plant in the center of town."

For a moment, I was too stunned to speak. I wasn't sure I had heard him right. I imagined Dr. Eggman where he was standing, but their petty burglaries seemed to pair up. This was too far for Slade, and he had tried to kill me the second I had arrived!

"Wha-..." I couldn't think of what to say. "But... People will die!"

"Not if they get out in time." Slade said calmly. "If they act as if they want to live, they'll be fine."

I was surprised Terra hadn't spoken up. "So this is some stupid competition for you to see who is selfish enough to get out in time?!" I yelled.

"Of course not." Slade said, leaving the doorway. The room stayed open, and I followed him out.

"And what if someone does die?" Terra asked. She at least looked as angry as I was.

"Someone might." He replied. "But it's your call to follow through."

My heart dropped. It was Tails for the life of another person. Or maybe more than a few people. But the Teen Titans would be there, wouldn't they? They would save everyone in the building. They would be able to. It was right. But then again, it wasn't right for me to join with Slade. But I didn't know it wasn't right until after I joined with him and he told me what he had done. So what was right...? My heart raced with panic.

"Hah!" I shouted. "I'm not doing this."

"Are you sure?" Slade asked.

I started to pull my suit over my head, but something was wrong. "I'm going to do something I should have done a long time ago."

"Go ahead." Slade seemed to be amused. The suit wasn't coming off. It was stuck to me. I was horrified. I had to go through with the plan. I had no choice. Tails was just a kid. He couldn't suffer just because I was too incompetent to think as straight as him.

"Why won't it come off?!" I yelled, trying to rip it at that point. "What did you do?"

"Do you really think I hadn't seen your rebellion coming?" Slade asked. "Do you think I would have allowed you to leave at any time, especially so late in my plans?"

I stopped and looked at him. I was at his mercy. Again. But this time it wasn't my choice.

"Go to the power plant." Slade ordered. "Now."

I walked out and up the stairs, looking down into the never ending pit beside us. I would never be able to forgive myself if anyone died in the power plant. 

"Everything will be fine." Terra said, almost making me jump and fall into the pit. That would probably be better for everyone else. I had forgotten she was with me. "He never said we couldn't help people get out, and-"