XXXV. Robin

There were too many things happening at the same time. There was an explosion somewhere in the tower, Sonic was laughing and I really couldn't figure out why, and I couldn't tell if Tails was fine or dead.

"S-Sonic?" I asked. "Hey, buddy, it's me, remember? And Starfire's here, too, remember how nice she is?"

But Starfire had left. I wasn't sure how long she had been gone, but it would make my job a little harder. Sonic looked himself over; the only thing added from whatever had happened was that his quills stuck straight up as if he had put some special hedgehog hair gel on them. And he had turned completely black.

He smiled at me, and it was unlike any smile I had seen on his face. It was a bit of mischievousness, and bit of evilness, and it made me nervous. He emanated something that made me feel completely and utterly terrified of him. 

"Robin," Sonic said, "for helping me gather the Emeralds, I will spare you. However, if you dare to come in my way, I won't be so kind."

He broke a window with his fist, then jumped through it. He left small trails of blood from the glass shards shredding into him, but he didn't seem to mind. It didn't even phase him. His face had the same smile on it as he fell to the ground. It had that strange cockiness to it that he always wore on its face, but... it made me shiver.

I was completely immobilized until I heard Tails call to me. Even then, it was hard to break out of the trance. I found myself completely soaked in sweat. "Robin?" Tails said again.

I shook my head. "At least you're okay. It looks like we did all of this for nothing."

Tails sat up. "Not necessarily," he yawned. "Slade doesn't have the Emeralds, and I have a strong feeling Slade will be unable to control Sonic the way he wanted to. He may try, but Sonic's acting of his own free will - a distorted one, but that's better than being controlled. And as to your next question, I have no idea how to stop it. The first step would be to find the other Chaos Emeralds."

I looked down at the jewels. Their colors seemed a little faded from Sonic's use on them. Sonic was such an incredibly strong creature, stronger than I could have ever imagined. How could such a happy, lucky guy turn into such a twisted creature?

I helped Tails to his feet, finally looking away from the window. "Where can we start looking for the Chaos Emeralds?"

Tails shook his head. "There's part of the problem. Sonic's probably going to look for them to power himself with more of the dark energy."

I frowned at him. "You seem to know an awful lot about this..."

Tails sighed. "I've always been worried something like this would happen. I've been trying to figure out as much as I can. There are other beings that have used the negative energy of the Chaos Emeralds."

"There have been?" I frowned. "Isn't Sonic the only one who can use the Emeralds?"

Tails shook his head. "Nope. There are quite a few that can use them, positive or negative energy."

I held my hand up. "We don't have time for this. We need to go after him."

Tails nodded. "I'll be in the living room. Get the others together."

Tails seemed so cool and collected, even though his friend could potentially die. In fact, we could be the ones to kill him. If it was someone like Starfire, I couldn't even imagine...

I shook my head, then ran into the hall and hit the alarm. The red lights blared, making the hallway glow red with anger. I made my way to the living room, taking any steps two at a time. My heart was beating into my stomach, making me nauseous and shiver. I didn't like the sensation; I felt like something was being torn from me. It was silly, in a way - I had only known Sonic a few weeks. But with his happiness gone, the Titan Tower felt like it was missing something large. Sonic had become our friend.