XXIX. Robin

Sonic didn't talk much. He just gazed out into the ocean, his mind obviously on something. I couldn't tell it if was a good thought or a bad thought; his stare seemed penetrable and completely unreadable.

I sighed and sat next to him, flipping through channels. No, I didn't want to learn how to cook, thank you. Starfire and Cyborg took over the kitchen, anyway. They wouldn't let anyone else cook for the team. I didn't want to see any drama, either. I stayed on the news for a few minutes, but there was nothing interesting - all it talked about was the stock market and whether or not the presidential candidates were good for the job or not. They didn't really concern me.

I paused at an action movie, but it soon got slow and boring. I turned to Sonic to see if he had perked up at anything, but he didn't move. "You okay, buddy?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yeah, just a little tired." Slowly, he gave out a huge yawn, and his gaze wavered slightly. His eyes turned to me. "What are we going to watch?"

I turned to look at the television, pulling up the guide. "I don't really see anything good."

He squinted at the television. "Huh. What about that one that says 'Exterminator'? Is that any good?"

I squinted at it as well. "Oh, yeah. It's about this robot that is like made of flesh and is sent to go and kill a certain person in order to change the future."

Sonic suddenly looked uneasy. "I don't really care for death... Maybe I'll just go upstairs and sleep."

I nodded. "You look like you need it." He looked at me, and his eyes showed something like sorrow, guilt, and like he was going to puke. "Hey, we'll be back on the field in no time. Promise."

He nodded back, then got up and went upstairs. I watched him go, then turned off the T.V. and stared out into the ocean Sonic had been staring at for so long. It moved like it always did, the waves crashed like they always did, and it was blue, as always. Maybe it was just the effects of what Raven had done.

I decided to go upstairs to my own room and do some research. I knew Starfire would scold me later for not taking the time to relax, but I had been out of commission for long enough - even if that was only a day or so.

As I entered my room, I heard my watch crackle. "-Ome in -in," it said, and Raven's face appeared. They didn't look like they were having any trouble, but looks could be deceiving.

"What is it, Raven?" I asked, looking down at my wrist.

"-Ound a Cha- -merald." Raven replied. I understood what she had said.

"You found one?" I repeated. "Can you tell if it's fake or real? And why is the connection so bad?"

"-ad storm," Raven said, "a- no, can't -"

"Okay," I nodded. "Come back as soon as you're done. Be careful out there."

Without another word, the communicator shut off, and I was left alone to my papers and my thoughts.

The problem wasn't who was creating the Emeralds - unless, of course, they kept appearing and... maybe it could be a problem. If Slade was truly creating them, he could keep supplying them, making Sonic lose more and more control. That would be dangerous for everyone - even him. Maybe he thought he would be able to control him because he was already evil. But it always turned out the same; destruction everywhere.

I put my hand on my chin. This was getting more and more complicated. We needed to take down Slade and his kid, and fast. That would stop the production, and we could get the rest of the Chaos Emeralds in a little bit of peace.