04 - Unexpected Visitor

"Hi, I made the apartment reservation." I say at the woman who was standing behind the counter, smiling at me. She nods her head and asks, "Your name?"

"Megan Stevens." I reply firmly.

The woman nods again and takes the key. That was fast.

"Here you go, Megan. I'm Kate." she says, keeping that smile on her face. I took the key from her hand and smile back, taking my trolley with me. "Do you need any help?" she asks me, and I responded with a 'No'. "Okay then, I'll see you around." she says for the last time before I ascend the elevator.

I think I can call this place a Home. I'm sure of it.

* * * 

I open the apartment room's door, the living room is the first thing I noticed. It isn't ugly nor beautiful, it's a simple flat room and I couldn't ask for more.

   I pin the article I took from Mike on the wall, then I drop my trolley on the floor and throw my bag on the couch, and plop myself on it as well. I am surely going to get used to all of this. The place, the couch, the town? I'll handle myself.

Why could I not? I lived in California for 4 years, and in those 4 years, I dealt with danger all by myself. I had no parents. I didn't trust anyone. I have to admit, Jason is a friend of mine, but I don't give him all of my trust. Keep in mind that he's also an agent.

The phone suddenly rings repeatedly, startling me. I glance at the table and notice the phone that was connected with a message box. I stand up and reach for the phone. I lift it up and answer the call, "Hello?" I pause for an answer.

"Kate?" I sigh, "What's up?" I ask her, putting my other hand on my waist.

"There seems to be a package left for you, Ms. Stevens." she inquires, "We had it delivered to your door already, so you don't have to mind it."

"A package? From who?" I ask her again, and she says she doesn't know who it was from. I raise my eyebrow and figured I should just accept it. But before I could say one last thing, someone knocked on the door. I glance at the front door and pause,  "Alright, thanks Kate." I say and put the phone down slowly.

I can't just take any package especially when I have no idea where the hell it came from. Look at the chances; It might be from the agency, or one of the ex-agents I locked up in jail or something. But fear can't just take over me right now.

   Another call came, startling me again and brushing off my thoughts. I look down on the phone and at the message box, clicking one of the buttons making the call messages go straight to the inbox.

I slowly approach the front door, making sure I don't create a sound. Approaching it, I pass by the drawer next to the couch and pull out a gun. Glad I hid one back then. I love having safe houses in different states.

I return to the pathway towards the door. I slowly walk and gently reach for the knob, turning it and opening a creak. I take a peek and realize no one was outside. I close the door again and hide the gun in the drawer and head back with the door open.

Pushing it away, I glance down seeing a package. It was a rectangular box, medium sized. It was covered in plain white wrapper. I look back up and scan the hallway, and nobody was there. I slowly crouch down and rip the wrapper off, revealing a brown box and it wasn't sealed with a tape or anything. I slowly open the box and see the doll that I've been researching about.

   It had a bright smile, and it was looking right at me. Its light freckles matched its hair color. I slowly lift the doll up, unsure why it had such a heavy weight.

I take one last look around and took the box, then I went back inside closing the door behind me, dropping the box on the floor. I head to the living room and slowly sit on the couch as I gently place the doll down on the table in front of me.

   Just what I asked for, but didn't really expect I would get this far. Actually, I haven't even started yet, and here it is. Right in front of me, staring back.

   I take a deep breath, still looking at the doll. "I'm not sure if what I heard about you is real," I pause, "But it would be great if you prove it to me." I say with a soft voice, no fear and no hesitation. I stay silent, waiting for a miracle. Hoping the doll comes to life or something. Although, I don't know how it works.

I wait for a few seconds, and sigh in disbelief. "Have you got a name or something?" I ask the doll, leaning on my hand. It still does not answer.

   Megan turns her head to look at the phone, unaware of Chucky moving his head to the opposite side, eyeing the newspaper article on the cardboard on the wall. He arches his carved eyebrow and forms a smirk on his lips, and moving his head back to face Megan.

She looks down and sighs, "Okay. I guess I better handle that." she says reaching for her laptop and looking through the screen, finding the doll's name according to the article. Chucky takes a quick blink and stares right back. Megan glances at him then back at the screen. She puts the laptop away, "Okay... Chucky?" she says, "Can you say something?"

"Hi, I'm chucky, and I'll be your friend to the end. Hidey-ho!"

Megan gasps, then sneers. "I bet you're tired of people telling you what to do, huh?" she asks him, giving him a slight smirk. "Okay then, I'll let you do your thing and I do mine." she says with a chuckle, standing up from the couch. "I'm so stupid." she adds as she turns off the light, walking into her room.

Chucky's head turns slightly, watching her as she heads in the bedroom. "Good night, Darling." he whispers in the dark, snickering softly.