16 - Barred

Megan sits on the steel chair in a brick-walled room. The windows are barred, making her feel like she's kept in jail. But there are frames hanging on the walls, and a comfortable bed along the side. A table rests beside the bed and the chair in front where she's currently sitting on. She huffs a breath and rolls her eyes.

Suddenly, the door opens and Greg comes in. "Are you alright?" he asks stepping in.

Meg spreads her arms, "I feel like home." she says with a stern tone of voice.

Greg sits on the desk next to the door, "I'm sorry, Meg. But we have to keep you safe here." he tells her with his eyebrows narrowed. Meg glares and looks away. "I can handle myself, Chief."

"Maybe you can, after we finish this case with you Uncle. Remember when we cleared you out a few days ago? a murder mysteriously happened and it was just a few minutes away from the place you're staying in."

Meg doesn't seem convinced. After all, she knows it was only Chucky who kept doing these things.

"When can I leave then?" she asks,

Greg stands, "By the time we capture the murderer."

   The words Greg said rang in Megan's ears. She started to feel nervous, wondering where Charles is and what he's possibly doing. She starts wishing he would just leave Meg and never look back. Or else, he'll get killed again and he'll never get to live. It's his last chance to invade a body.

   She might sound crazy, but at this point, she pity Charles for having no other choice because of the hatred in his heart and vengeance corrupting his mind. And that's when she realized, she wants to keep Charles away and convince him to wander off and start a new life. With her. Forgetting the cruel life behind him. She might not know him all that well, but she knows it's the life he never wanted. He didn't choose this. And she's willing to help him start it all over again.

   Megan has nothing else in life, she thought. No more family, no more job. And Charles is the only one who made her life filled again.

   This is what she does. She defends, kills, and gives out pain. It's what she's born with. The heart and skill to fight off anything that puts her down.

"Okay." Meg replies. She looks at him with a blank expression, then she watches him leave the room. Greg closes the door behind him and she sighs in relief.

Megan stands and plops on the bed, closing her eyes tightly. "Where are you, Charles?"

   I can't let them find out, it's going to hurt him and me. I know I sound like a mad man but I've grown with him. I like being with him, with the fact that he enjoys the reputation we both have in common in some way. He defends himself, and I do too.

   The only difference here is that he kills brutally, and I don't. I use more with action instead of guns and knives. I work for no one but only me. Who do I kill? The ones who need to be. Like my boss, but that'll be tough work and I'll save it for the best. The only people I'll need dealing with are the ones who caused harm to my family.

I'll go back to Chicago and investigate on Mike's old past and mine. At least I don't have to take orders from others like I did back then. You'll gain pain if you deserve it.

I know, I should kill Charles for killing Mike. But something tells me, I shouldn't. Well... I couldn't anyway. I've come this far and who knows, I might need him someday. And besides, I've gained his trust somehow. And, I know why he's like this.