10 - The Catch

Megan's room door was wide open but the lights were off. Yet Chucky could see her laying on her bed. She was still awake. Her eyes were glued to the ceiling. Suddenly, ripping through the piercing silence was her voice, "Chucky?"

Chucky was sitting on the couch in the dark. He turned his head, "What?"

Megan hadn't moved, "You know I have to go there tomorrow, right? Or else they'll think something's up."

Chucky sighed, "Yeah, I know." He turned around.

"Don't worry," Megan replied. "We'll get back on our feet after this. Just trust me."

Chucky sneered,  making Megan ask if something was wrong. 

"Nothing it's just... I realize that I'm actually crazy."

Megan chuckled, "You're just realizing that now?"

"It's not what you think. That's not what I'm talking about."

Megan finally shifted on the bed, her eyes on the door. "Then what is it?"

"Trusting you," he mumbled, "I'm trusting the hostage to take care of this." Chucky laughed. Megan kept quiet. "There's nothing wrong with that, you know."

"Sometimes taking a risk isn't really that foolish."

"You think so?" he asked. 

"I've taken too many risks with you around. This time, all I ask is you take this risk for me."

Chucky couldn't help but smirk.

Suddenly, it was quiet again. But this time, the silence wasn't as deafening as before. 

* * *

"Megan Stevens," I say standing in front of the cop who came crashing on my door last night. He stops drinking from his cup and greets me with an 'Ah!'. I stood straight in front of him until he asked me to take a seat. I refused and crossed my arms, leaning on the wall. "What was it you wanted to talk to me about?"

"There was a homicide yesterday around-"

"Oh, yes, of course. Like I said, I passed by that street because I came home from the airport."

"You live with anyone in this town?" Gregg asks, and I shook my head 'no'. "Is this your first time living here?"

"No." I reply firmly, "In fact I've been here last year, planning to uhh—live in this town from Chicago."

"Oh, you're from Chicago?"

I nodd, "Yes, I was. Now is that all you need, gentlemen?" I ask sounding tired.

"Well-"

I roll my eyes and start walking off, but he catches up, "I have a lot of stuff to do, Officer. I need to relax, I need to have a life of my own, and I have to go find a job." I say, "I'll have you know that I do not know anything about it. I feel sorry for the family, but I have to look out for myself too."

Gregg seemed convinced, and it looked like he already had everything he needed. "Alright, I guess you can leave."

"Thank you." I say and quickly walk out looking exasperated.

"That woman is so fierce." Lewis says, after sipping on his mug.

A woman who seems to be another cop passes by Lewis, "Oh, Lewis. Even women are tougher than you? That is so sad." she teases, walking off.

Lewis tightens his lip, "Laugh all you want, Jane. But if we get this thing sort out, you can kiss that Cop of the month goodbye." he says with annoyance and glances back at Gregg, "Anyway. I don't think she knows anything about that murder, John."

Gregg sneers and glances at the window, watching Megan leave, his hands on his waist. "Maybe." he sighs, "Run me a file on Megan Stevens."

"What? Do you think she's got something to do with it?"

"Not exactly. But she looks familiar."