14 - Back on the Road

I could hear the birds chirping, and the sun was shining down on the bed. My sleep was perfect, and it feels like I didn't even want to wake up anymore.

"Hey," a husky voice speaks up, and he pokes me on my shoulder. "Hey, wake up. We've got a long way to go." he adds and I groan waking up, seeing Chucky in front of me.

"Yeah, I'll be up in a minute." I mumble, returning to my sleep. But he takes a deep breath and walks to the curtain pulling it open. The bright light hovers on me and I quickly open my eyes, "Damn it, Charles!"

He laughs maniacally and stops for a moment, "Good morning, Prettyface." he says and heads off to the other side of the room.

    Walking out of the motel room, I had Chucky on one hand holding onto his. A woman at a parking lot was staring at me while I headed to my car.

   She must've thought something suspicious was up. A woman with sunglasses on, wearing leather and a creepy-looking doll on hand. 

She watches me until I open the car door, and I glance at her. "I'm a ventriliquist." I say, throwing the doll inside the car and getting in with him. The woman nods with a fake smile as I get in.

   I take my glasses off and glance at the rearview mirror, seeing the woman walking away but her eyes still begging to watch me leave.

Chucky shakes his head trying to stand up behind me, he stands still and leans his arms on the seats. "What a croc," he says and sneers. Then he nudges me, still standing next to me while I drive, "Step on it!"

"Just let me drive," I tell him as I steer to the left, "We go my way this time."

"What?" he exclaims,

I sigh, "I'm heading home, just gonna grab a few stuff."

"Nuh-uh, No way prettyface." he says tapping the knife at the other seat,

"Fine, then go find someone to drive you home." I drove a little faster, "I'm not traveling without cleaning myself or something."

"You're such a girl." he scoffs.

"No," I roll my eyes, "I just want to be neat." Lie. That was a lie. For the first time I lied to him, and I didn't even care.

Whatever, I just needed to grab a few important things. Just in case something happens, I'm ready for anything. I'm an agent, damn it. I'm always ready. Just a few guns, IDs and identity fakers and I'm ready to go.

...just not today. I totally forgot about it.

"Fine, just get on with your girly-clean bullshit and drive to Andy." he orders as he sits back on the passenger seat.

I glance at him, then back at the road, "Why are you sitting there?"

He crosses his arms and looks away, "I ain't sitting beside you." he says, "I'm not getting hit on that fucking dashboard again."

I shake my head in disbelief, "Whatever." I say and kept driving.

   A few hours later, we finally reached my apartment. There were cars around the corner, but I never thought it would be something I'd care about, until I went up with Chucky.

We both snuck up at the fire exit and saw 3 men around the hall in front of my room. One of them looked familiar and we both knew, they were cops.

"Leave." Chucky says, "Now."

I refuse and whisper, "No way. They'll surely know I'm guilty of something."

"So what?" he protests, "I'll just kill them."

"Shut up and let me deal with these, I'm good at it."

"Yeah, right" he doubts,

I glance at him and raise my eyebrow, "Stay here and let me." I say and slowly walk to the hallway. My footsteps caught all their attention as they all ran to me.

"Miss Stevens?" Gregg says, walking beside me. I glance at him with surprised eyes, "Uh, Yes?" he stops walking and stands in front of me, his hand laying beside him.

"May I have a word with you?" he asks, 

I gulp and look at him, "Yeah? What's wrong?"

His eyes pierced through mine, tightening his lip.

This was not good.