8. loner

"Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart."-José N. Harris

Chapter Eight
                  •1 month later•
Wet liquid was on my cheek once I woke up. I looked around and heard the sound of a monitor. No one. I closed my eyes and exhaled.
"Kate? You awake?" The nurse peered down at me.
"Y-yes." I managed to say.
"That's good. Do you remember anything?" I thought. Christmas.
"No."
"Oh. Well I have good news and bad news." She sat on my bed. I made a look like go-on. "Well the bad news is that once the ambulance took you away from you house which was on fire, your mom didn't make it out. Also you have minor amnesia." My mom didn't make it out. I was breathing heavily. "The good news is that just take it easy and drink lots of water and don't get stressed." I nodded.
-
I was able to walk and they bought me a pair of dark blue big sweatpants and a t-shirt and a sweater. Also, they got me dark blue high top converse. I slightly smiled, but it more too the ground,
"I knew you would like them." I nodded. "Come with me, we'll have to find you a new home." I nodded sadly.
We walked into a room and went up to the desk and then into another room. We sat down and talked, I zoned out and played with my fingers.
"Kate?"
"Yes?"
"Sign these papers." I signed them slowly.
-
I walked out and got into the women's car from earlier and drove off. Her phone rang.
"Hello?"
"I texted you my address where to drop her off."
"Yes. I got it and we're driving to your place."
"Okay. I'm excited to meet her."
I looked at her and she shrugged. We arrived at a humongous house. Wow. I slowly got out and walked behind the women.
"This will be your new home." I gasped.
"I know." We knocked on the door and a women appeared. She had curly brown hair and hazel eyes. She was about 36. I looked down at my shoes.
"She is so adorable." She gave me a quick hug. I froze and didn't know what to do, I just stood there. "I'm going to be your new mom." I flinched at the feeling. I hugged myself and looked down. The women shook her head at the other women and nodded. Well this is new. New me.