49. she

Chapter Forty-Nine
I guess this is how it ends.
We can all go back home. Well Jillian and I. Finally.
I need to go back to finish some work.
But, it seems that Carter and Kate don't really want to come home with Karen. Carter is all grown up like Kate.
I was sitting at the breakfast area and then Karen had to show up.
"Can I sit here?"
"Sure." I said looking at my coffee. I sighed,
"Are you okay?"
"Does it look in okay?" I said it too roughly, because her expression was a bit taken back.
"Sorry."
"I'm sorry, it's just I didn't know Kate would be here. I mean I always wanted to see her and now....she can't even say something to my face."
"It takes time."
"No, I should have just come back for her. I mean, when I first saw her with you, she looks like her mom."
"Hmm."
"Yeah, and when I heard that her mom died. It shattered my heart like it did with her." I looked at Karen,
"Was she really alone?"
"Yes. For 2 months. She had no home. She had to stay in a hospital." I glared at my coffee cup and my hands tightened.
"Great. Kate's right. It's all my fault."
Karen didn't say anything. "I shouldn't have did it with you Karen." I said honestly,
"It was a one night stand."
"A mistake. I was drunk."
"Me too."
"And I can't be your husband."
"Why?"
"I don't think your boys would appreciate that I would do ever come back to them." She grabbed my hand,
"You love me?" I hesitated. Did I love Karen? Jillian?"
"I'm sorry, but no. It's just I can't love someone like you compared to Caroline. I hardly known you. I sort of still don't now."
"I understand. Jillian?"
"I pretended to be in love with her, but I don't. Only Caroline." I looked up to Karen and then I saw a movement behind the breakfast area. I knew the way she ran. Kate. She quickly sprinted and then disappeared.
"I need some fresh of air."
"Okay." I nodded and walked along the pathways and thinking to myself. I sat down on a bench and then I did the what you normally do when your sad: I cried. I put my hands over my face. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I stopped and looked sideways. The leather brown boots. Familiar. And then the silk voice,
"Hello Charles." I was speechless,
"C-Caroline?" I looked at her. She smiled. "Your actually here."
"Yes."
"The fire?"
"I got out, through the back door but fainted."
"Caroline, are you okay?"
"Yes. I was hiding my identity for some time. How are you with that- Karen?"
"I'm not with her anymore. But I do have a wife, Jillian but I think I'm gonna end it tonight. God, it's so good to see you!" I hugged her. She softly chuckled.
"It's good to see you too. You were crying."
"Yeah." I shrugged and looked at her, taking in every detail.
"I'm sorry." I said.
"I know."
"I'm sorry for leaving you and Kate. I'm sorry for everything." She looked like she was going to cry.
"I was in a rough patch with you back then.
"Yeah. You look healthy."
"I am. Thank you. You too."
"We're good."
"Good." She smiled and kissed my cheek. I missed her touch.
"I'm happy now. I still love you you know."
"You do, even when you left us and all this time, after?"
"Yes. Hell yeah." She laughed. Lovely.
"Now let's see how Kate will react."
"She's mad at me."
"She'll get over it when I'm there with you." She got up and grabbed my hand.
"Does she know?"
"I think she saw me in reception, but I got away before she could suspect something."
"Lead the way."
Caroline and I were walking side by side and when we were at the foot of the hotel, Caroline stopped. I saw that she was breathing heavily.
"I can't believe that I'm going to see how big my daughter is."
"Let's go." We slowly walked up the steps. We opened the double doors to see Kate running down the stairs. She stopped and looked at us when she saw us. She had a blank expression on her face but then she slowly her mouth opened. She squinted and walked toward us. I looked at Caroline. She was happy and was crying at the same time. She was playing with her hands as she too walked near Kate. Kate eyes widen as she recognized who it was.
They were standing a few feet from each other,
"Mom?" Kate's voice was soft and quiet, "is it really you?"
"I'm sure you have many questions."
"I do." Kate looked down, Caroline liked at Kate,
"You are so big."
"How are you here."
"When the fire had already been too much, I fainted behind our house. I tried to go to you, but it was too late. That's why I had to leave. I had to pretend that I died. It was easier for you."
Kate didn't say anything.
"The last time I saw you, you were open presents with Candice." A pause, "If only I was there, to see you grow into a young women, to protect you from your fathers "temper."" Caroline took a step forward.
"I know there is no words to make up for abandoning you. Though we have time for me to try again. Your angel has returned to you and I'll never leave you again." Caroline held a hand to Kate's cheek. Kate relaxed and closed her eyes. Once she opened them, she was crying, but it was happy tears.
"It's really you."Caroline nodded and hugged Kate like her life depended on it,
"My sweet sweet girl." Caroline kissed her head. Then they pulled apart. Kate looked at me. I weakly smiled. She nodded and stepped toward me.
"You found her?"
"She found me." Kate nodded and looked at Caroline. Caroline grabbed my hand and Kate's hand.
"We're all here now." I nodded and looking at Caroline and Kate side by side was heaven. It was family.