60 cupid

Chapter Sixty
MATT'S POV:

"I messed up and broke my promise to Candice."
"You did not just say that." Ash answered.
"Ash, shut up, I'm serious."
"What did you do?"
"I-uh, cheated on her twice..." I waited for an answer, only to hear ragged breathing. I heard a faint gulp and then a sigh.
"You did that?" His voice was low.
"Yes, and I know, I messed up."
"Are you serious? Little bro, this was actually your first relationship and you messed it up."
"I know." I gnawed on my cheek.
"Wow, you need a fixer upper."
"Ash, I will slap you in the face."
"Uncalled for."
"Anyway, I was calling for..."
"Little bro, spill."
"Ineedyputocomedownhereandhelpmefixthis." I said quickly. Silence on the other end, "Ash?"
"I'm here buddy, but please repeat what you just said but 10 times slower."
"I said, I need you to come down here and help me fix this."
"Ah, I see, now I understand."
"So..?"
"Sure. I'll do anything for you little bro." He said in a high pitch girly voice.
"Shut up." I slid my phone into my pocket. I made my way into the kitchen to see Kate's mother making something.
"Hey Matt." She said to me, sweetly. I returned a smile back.
"Hey Caroline," I sat down on one of the stools, "what are you making?"
"Lasagna."
"Nice." She opened the oven and put the pan in and closed it. She took off her apron which had Minnie Mouse all over it. She sighed and sat across from me.
"You want to talk about it." I looked at her,
"I don't know what your talking about." I glared at my knees. She grabbed my hand and squeezed it gently.
"I just want to make sure your okay."
"I'm fine." She pulled her hand back and stood up and was taking out something from a cupboard.  "Caroline, sorry. I'm not fine."
"I can see that. It hurt you."
"Yes, it did." She sat leaned against the table and looked down at me,
"My mother used to tell me that no matter what happens, you will never hate each other, but you will become friends again." I stared at her.
"I'm not so sure."
"You just have to wait."
"I'm tired of waiting, that's why I did what I did."
"Well, you are a horrible jerk." I grinned and she rolled her eyes. "You'll always find a way to fix it." I sighed and got up and went to my room, well one of the guest room. I face planted myself into the bed and groaned.
"I'm a useless human being and doesn't deserve to fall in love."
"Wow, I never heard that one before." I got up quickly to see Kate looking at me and then walked over to me and sat down. "Are you okay?"
"No."
"Obviously."
"I thought this one would actually work."
"What do you mean."
"A relationship."
"Was this first time you'd been in one?"
"No. Not since when I was 9.
"What happened?" I looked at her, unsure to talk about my past.
"Nothing, it was in the past."
"Please?" She made her eyes big and her lips as a pout.
"Oh that's good, I mean-" I muttered, she laughed
"Fine." I gave in. So I lied back and she did too. I guess it was story time.
"It all started back in the 7th grade. I moved into a new neighborhood and apparently had to live across the house that belonged to Emily Fields. I mean she was pretty for a 8 year old. I was 9. I fell in love, so my heart takes over to my head. Back then, we never really knew what love was. We were friends in school and then I guess it sort of more than that. We loved each other. When were older like 15, we went to different high schools and that was it. I mean I wanted Emily to know how special she made me feel."
"I'm sure she did." Kate said. I gave her a skeptical look. She shrugged, "just trying to help."
"You know, she was always there for me back then." I chuckled, "I couldn't wait to school to see her. Everyday I used to wake up thinking, "I get to see her." And it made me smile. And now she probably hates me forever, because I haven't stayed in touch like I promised her years ago. She was my best friend and I couldn't imagine my life without her-until I met Candice. She was Emily. She was my lover. She still is. I wouldn't know what to do if I lost her. She's my second half, without that half, I'm not whole. I'll never be whole again."  I looked at Kate.
"So what would you call it?" I hesitated.
"Half love." I finally replied.
"Does that exist?"
"It doesn't have to exist, it's just about you, about how you think about it."
"Interesting. Know wonder no one wants to date you." I glared at her and threw a pillow at her.
"Shut up."
"Well, it was your fault."
"I know and i need to fix it. Can you help me?"
"Of course, you guys were made for each other." I smiled. I just had a plan.
_________________________

An hour later, I finished writing my ideas down. Kate snatched the notepad out of my hands.
"You could ask."
"Yeah, whatever." I saw her read it and then made an weird strange sound.
"Aww, that's romantic."
"Give it back." We heard the front door open and my chest tighten. I hoped it wasn't Candice.
"So, what do you need help with?" Phew, it was only Ash.
"Ash? What are you doing here?"
"Uh helping." We all sat around the table.
"So...I was thinking of doing something very nice.."
"Like what?" Asked Kate.
"I know..have her walk into her room with rose petals on the ground and what's here favorite comida?"
"Chipotle...?" I replied uncertainty.
"Yeah...perfect."
"Oh that's a good idea...it looks like I'm going to marry her." I said with sarcasm. Silence. Wait.
"Do you want to marry her?" Asked Kate quietly.
"That's a bit too far out..."
"Just asking." I never really thought about that.
"Yeah, or just write a long lovely apologize note saying that you never do it again...or something  how you first met her..I don't know." I got it.
"Wait, Ash that's perfect." I looked at Kate.
"Get ready Kate."
"Uh why?"
"We're going shopping." She gave me one of her looks and then sighed. This is going to be good. MATT SMITH coming through.