Brooklyn

"Okay," I yelled, panting as we sped down the sidewalk, "We obviously can't outrun it, so we need to outsmart it."
"Easy for you to say!" Charlie called back, dodging a woman and her child who called out, "Doggy!"

"Yeah," Skylar added, "I say we turn and fight." I shook my head, "Trust me, the next alley you come to four of us run through there, the other four will keep running. We'll go down the busiest road, distracting it while you all sneak up behind and try to attack. Just yell so we know you're there." I waited for a moment, letting it sink in, "Questions?"

"What's Plan B?" Luke asked.

"For now? Nothing. If this doesn't work just play by ear. Anything else?"

"Actually-" Jake started, but the Chimera roared, causing the pavement to shake.

"No time, just stay by me."

He nodded solemnly.

There was an alley to the left. "Go!" I shouted as Diamond, Lily, Luke, and Skylar all sharply turned. The Chimera froze, obviously confused, before following Arizona, Jake, Charlie, and me. I strained my ears to here the sound of cars over the pounding of the Chimera's massive paws against the concrete. Straight ahead. I picked up the pace, sprinting forward a few meters.

We were at the corner now, traffic was loud, but not as loud as the Chimeras roar. Up ahead, I saw the other group race out of a side street before Luke motioned for them to move back. Yes! My plan was working! Then, it was like watching a slow motion video; Charlie tripped on his shoelace, falling flat, directly in front of the monster.

The monster growled, opening its maw, flames flicking across his tongue. "No!" Arizona yelled, running forward, sword raised. The Chimera swatted her like a fly. Arizona went soaring through the air, landing near a fire hydrant.

A fire hydrant!

I felt really selfish for not worrying to much, but Arizona was tougher than she looked, and she may have just found a way to defeat this thing. The monster had turned back towards Charlie, who was scrambling backward.

I turned to the fire hydrant, closing my eyes and concentrating.

"Brooklyn!" Jake yelled, "Now is really not a great time to start meditating!" I tried to hold my concentration. The hydrant was shaking. The other group finally sensed the commotion and came rushing over. Luke stopped beside me, "What're you doing?" I squeezed my eyes tighter.
"Fine, don't help us fight," he muttered.

He charged the beast yelling, Jake and Skylar at his side. I had no time to think about Diamond. The fire hydrant burst just as the Chimera spit fire straight onto Charlie. "No!" I yelled, pushing all the water towards the Chimera, pushing it off it's feet. Charlie shot up, trying to beat out his burning clothes, "Fun fact, my clothes aren't fireproof."

I forced another burst of water out of the hydrant, dousing his burning clothes. "C'mon," I said, rushing towards the others and the Chimera. Skylar was telling the others to stay back as she advanced. "I'll distract it, while you all try to sneak up on it." They looked at me. "Sounds good," I shrugged. Skylar smiled and rushed forward, "Hey, doggy, wanna treat?"

The Chimera lowered itself toward the ground, like a cat about to pounce. Skylar paced in front of it, the Chimera's eyes following her closely. The rest of us inched our way around it, weapons at the ready. Once we were all in position, Luke yelled and rushed forward, soon everyone followed suit. But the Chimera had other plans. It dashed forward, hooking Skylar's shirt in it's teeth, immediately running down the street. Skylar yelped in surprise then began to scream.

"Skylar!" I yelled, running forward. The Chimera turned the corner, and there was no more screaming. I ran to the corner and looked, praying to all the gods above that she be there, along with a pile of Chimera dust. But there was nothing. Someone put a hand on my shoulder.

"Well," Arizona said softly, "I guess we're even more like our parents then we thought. Now there's only seven of us."

*******************

A/n: hey guys! Sorry for the late update, but guess what I'm watching right now. Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters!! Even though it is nothing like the book, I just can't help but like it.