Chapter 4: Black Beauty

I sat on my porch reading a book, when I heard a car pull up, and I put my book down to see Mary in driving her little buggie.

     "Hey, Van!" Mary shouted from the car, and stuck out her hand to wave.

     "Hi..." I said, and gave her a small wave.

     Mary got out her car, closed her door and walked up to me with a huge smile, "Hey, there." she smiled, "What're you up to?"

     I held up my book to her, "It's called reading," I said somewhat sarcastically.

     Mary laughed, and sat down on the porch next to me, "Listen. I wanted to invite you to come to the tavern with me, and the boys from the bonfire, she smiled at me.

     I raised my brows at her, "I'm only eighteen, and besides I'm not old enough to drink," I stated.

     "Oh, so what? Come on..." she pleaded, "It's going to be fun! Besides the tavern isn't anal about it." she added with pleading eyes.

     She's not going to go away...

     I rolled my eyes, and said, "Fine..."

     Mary smiled widely, and clapped her hands, "Yay, okay I'll see you tonight," she said with excitement, "It's up on Hadley street. If you pass the crochet store then you've gone to far." she added.

     I looked up at her to give her a small smile, and nodded my head, "Sure thing." I replied, she smiled at me and hopped into her buggie.

     "Bye!" she shouted to me, and I waved by to her.

     Wow, is she always this perky?

     I heard the screen door open, and I turned to see my father standing there, "Hey, sweetheart. Do you want to come to the Hansen's farm with me?" My dad asked me with a hopeful smile.

     I twisted my mouth at the thought of Eric, "Uh. I don't think so..." I replied hesitantly.

     My father walked down the wooden steps, and turned to face me, "Come on. You can help Mr. Hansen."

     "Fine." I said. I left my book on the steps, and got into the truck. Once my father got in we headed to the farm.

     When we got there I saw Mr. Hansen standing near a wooden fence, and he was feeding some pigs. We both got out of the truck, My father headed towards Mr. Hansen and I stayed near the truck.

     I looked around to see if Eric was there, and I spotted him feeding chickens, "Hey, Van. I'm going to go get some more slop with Mr. Hansen, and I'll be back," my father called out to me.

     "Feel free to look around!" Mr. Hansen smiled at me. Mr. Hansen and my dad headed off in search for slop.

     I walked over to a fence that was enclosing a couple of horses, and leaned against. From where I was standing, I notice that Eric wasn't wearing a shirt and his body glistened from his sweat.

     My thoughts were broken when Eric turned and caught me looking at him. I didn't move. The last thing I wanted was for him to think I was intimidated. Our eyes locked for a few seconds. He didn't smile. I finally looked away; three seconds, maybe? I felt a flutter in the pit of my stomach and immediately pushed it away. I looked back at him one more time. He caught me again and this time he winked. I quickly turned away in defiance. Annoying. He irritated me. He was irritating. It was official.

     I looked over at my father. He was walking, and talking to Mr. Hansen. Eric had left the chicken pen, and was now standing a few feet away from her, and she suddenly noticed he was watching her. Completely annoyed, I turned away and stood a little straighter..