Chapter 7: The Staring Contest

I finally made it home, I walked through the front door and into the kitchen. When I walked in I found my parents sitting at the kitchen counter, with their hands on their face and elbows resting on the counter. It was if they were waiting for me. I looked away and back to them with confusion, "I'm going to get some juice..." I said baffled, and made my way towards the fridge.

     I grabbed the orange juice carton from the fridge, I placed it on the counter in front of them, and I looked at them suspiciously as I poured my juice. I raised my brows at them, and placed the juice carton back in the fridge. I came back over towards the counter, and I sipped my juice as mine and my parent's staring continued.

     "So, what are you guys doing?" I asked them curiously.

     Just then my mother finally blinked, "Damn it!" she yelled, and my father started cheering.

     "Ha ha! I won Donna." My father smiled at her, "Where's my twenty bucks?" he asked her with pure joy.

     She pulled a twenty form her pockets, and handed it to my father, "No fair."

     "How?" My father asked.

     My mother pointed at me, "She was distracting me." My mother complained.

     I raised my brows at this revelation, and I rolled my eyes, "You guys were having a staring contest?" I asked.

     "Well, your father here said that he could go without blinking longer than me, and I said there's no way and we had a staring contest." My mother explained it as if it were normal.

     I sighed, and looked between them, "Well, that's nice..." I said as I placed my glass in the sink, "I'm going to go turn in."

     My mother got up, and gently grabbed me by the shoulders, "Wait. How was your night?" she asked me, and dropped her hands to her sides.

     I wasn't sure how to explain to her what happened, and I wasn't sure if I could, "Uh, it was...interesting..." I answered as honestly as I could.

     "That's wonderful!" My mother exclaimed, "Oh, tell me all about it." My mother smiled, and put her hands together in joy.

     "Mom...I'm..." I drifted off.

     "Oh, Donna, let the child go to sleep." My father interjected, and I was mentally thanking him.

     My mother put her hands up in defeat, and she gently rubbed my shoulder, "Okay, good night, Van." She smiled, and hugged me, "I love you. I'm glad you're making friends." She added.

     I guess if that's what you want to call them.

     I walked over to my dad, and he gave me a peck on the cheek, "Night Hun." he said to me.

     "Good night, dad. I love you." I replied, and gave him a small smile.

     "Love you too." I heard him call to me as I was was walking upstairs.

     I opened my door, and immediately plopped down on my bed. I stared up at my white ceiling, and I was lost in my thoughts. I couldn't stop thinking about what happened tonight, or the way that Eric held me and most of all the way that I felt. It was confusing because he irritated me, however, tonight I felt something different and I couldn't describe it.

----------------------------

Dear Readers,

     Sorry, it's such a short chapter, and that there's no Eric in this one. I just wanted to show a little more of Van's relationship with her parents, and give a little more depth. Rather than it be all about her, and Eric all the time. I still need to develop Eric and Van's relationship a little more. Tell me what you guys think about this chapter, and please vote!

QOTD: What do you like about this story so far?

P.S. Thanks 80swhat for the new cover! XD

Sincerely, Ana XD