Chapter 20: Roses Are Red

A couple of days later...

     I was sitting on the porch steps and I was braiding Rose's long brown hair. The sun was shining down on her and it revealed subtle blonde highlights created from years of sun exposure.

     "Van, are you happy?" Rose asked out of the blue.

     I was broken out of my trance and I was a little surprised by her sudden question, "What do you mean?" I asked.

     "I mean are you happy?"

     I shrugged my shoulders and I wasn't sure of what to say, "I don't know..." I lightly chuckled.

     Rose picked a dandelion that was sprouting up from the ground, and she gently twirled it between her thumb, and index finger, "How do you not know?" She asked innocently.

     "It's complicated." I sated simply.

     Rose glanced back at me and gave me a look, "Explain it to me." She said.

     I gave her a small smile and nudged her to turn around, "You're too young to understand." I stated.

     Rose crossed her arms over her chest and huffed, "Come on." I whined, "I hate when people say that. You're too young." She mocked.

     I stopped and realized that people say the same thing to me, "You're right." I sighed, "Things aren't always as simple as they seem, and I don't know sometimes they don't make sense." I added.

     "Oh..."

     I continued to braid her long hair almost reaching the end, "Are you happy?" I asked Rose.

     Rose turned around and gave me another look, "I'm nine." She stated.

     "Yea, so?"

     "I'm always happy." She joked.

     "You're right. I forgot how innocent that age is." I smiled at her.

     Rose rolled her eyes and turned back around. I finished braiding her hair and I tied her hair off with a clear elastic, "Done." I announced.

     Rose lightly felt the braid with her hand and nodded her head, "Thanks."

     "Wait." I told her.

     I climbed down the steps to the rose bush under the window, I picked up a small rose and knelt down in front of Rose. I tucked the small rose behind her ear, and I let a few pieces of hair frame her face, "There you go. Done." I smiled, "A rose for a rose." I chuckled.

     "Way to be cheesy." Rose chuckled, "Thanks." She added gratefully.

     "That's my nature and you are welcome." I laughed, and I sat next to her.

     "Thanks, Mr. Morrison!" I heard a familiar voice say.

     I turned around to see Eric walk out from the side of the house, and my father walking close behind him, "No problem, Son." My father replied.

     When did he get here?

     Me and Eric made eye contact, and he stopped as he got to his truck, "When did he get here?" I whispered to Rose.

     Rose looked up at me and leaned into my ear, "He got here while you were upstairs reading." She explained.

     He kept switching between focusing on my father and glancing at me. He finished talking to my father and got in his car. Before he drove off he gave me a small smile and drove away.

    "What's going on between you two?" Rose asked as she looked up at me curiously.

     I looked down at her and shook my head, "Nothing, you need to worry about." I chuckled and I nudged her shoulder.

     "No fair." She whined, "Come on."

     I rolled my eyes and walked into the house, and Rose followed close behind me begging wanting to know what was going on.

-----------------------

Dear Readers,

     Sorry, if this chapter isn't that good.

     QOTD: What would you like to see?

Sincerely, Ana XD