Chapter 33: Take Me To Church

He took the letter from me and looked down at it in confusion, "Is this from you?" He asked curiously.

     I looked at him and I gently shook my head, "No." I replied, "I don't know who's it from..." I trailed off.

     He looked up at me with furrowed brows and his mouth slightly opened, "Then who gave it to you?"

     I settled myself into a comfortable position on the grass, and leaned back on my hands, "I found it." I answered.

     "Found it?" He questioned, "Where?"

     I looked down at the grass, and started to pick at it, "I found it the day we were at the church." I explained. He looked at me for further information and I sighed, "When I went back to get my bag, I found it taped under one of the pew and I grabbed it because it had your name on it." I continued.

     "Why didn't you give it to me that day?" He asked confused.

     I shrugged my shoulder and bit my lip, "I don't know..." I trailed off, "I kind of forgot about and I wasn't sure what to do with it..." I added honestly.

     Eric nodded his head in slight confusion, and looked down at the letter. He lightly ran his fingertips across the his written name, "This handwriting looks familiar..." He whispered.

     My head shot to the handwriting and I furrowed my brows, "Do you know who it might be?" I asked curiously.

     Eric shook his head absently and he continued to stare down at the letter, "I'm not sure..."

     "Maybe, you should open it..." I suggested.

     Eric looked up at me a bit lost and nodded his head in agreement. Without another word he opened it up, and removed the content. He pulled out a white piece of paper, and it had a letter written in cursive on it.

     Eric gently unfolded it and he silently started to read what the letter said. We sat there in silence, all you head was our silent breathing and the gently sound of nature. At one point I heard Eric's breathing hitch, however, I couldn't tell what he was feeling because he was staring intently at the letter.

     I sat there patiently and waited for him to finish reading. I was kind of curious as to what the letter said, and why there was a letter at all.

     Eric looked up and then he turned his head towards with tears in his eyes. I looked at him with sympathy, and slightly surprise that he was crying.

     "What did it say?" I asked hesitantly.

     I saw a tear run down his cheek, his jaw tensed, and without another word he handed me the letter read. I took it from him and it read:

     To my dearest Eric,

     I wish I could have know you longer, my love, but it wasn't to be. Still, at only eight years old, you have already left a big impression on my hear that will go with me, wherever it is I'm going. Being your mother has made my life worthwhile. And you my dearest Eric gave me that. What does a mother wish for her son? I wish you happiness. You have a wonderful father and one day you'll have a wife that adores you. Go into the world knowing that you were loved and you'll leave the world knowing the same.

     I know your father may not be in the best frame of mind right now, he just needs to know that there is someone still there that loves him. He may be hardheaded and stubborn; that's why I fell in love with him, however, I know he'll eventually ease off. I know he just doesn't want to be alone, and he'll try to keep you there. But, don't think he doesn't have hopes and dreams for you because he does, and it's just hard for him to let you go.