Chapter 5: Tiny Dancer

I jogged down the steps of my house, I walked to my father's car and got in. Before I could put the key into the ignition my parents came down the step, and stood next to the truck's window, "Are you sure you know where you're going?" My mother asked with concern, and my father's face reflected the same emotion.

     I sighed and looked at my parents, "Don't worry. Mary gave me directions." I assured them.

     "What were the directions?" My father asked curiously. He rubbed his chin, and looked at me waiting for an answer.

     I looked between the both of them, and rolled my eyes, "It's on Hadley street, and she said if I pass the crochet store I went too far." I answered.

     My parents looked at each other, they shrugged their shoulders and nodded their heads, "Seems pretty good to me, Vern." My mother said to my father, "What do you think?" She turned and asked my father.

     My turned his head towards me, "Yup. Sounds pretty good to me." He replied.

     I bobbed my head at their agreement, and I pursed my lips, "So...?" I dragged out, "Can I go now?"

     "Oh, yea, of course." My mother smiled.

     "See you later, sweetheart." My father smiled, and hit the roof of the car twice, "Have fun." He added.

     "Thanks, dad." I said, and gave him a wry smile. I pulled out of the dirty driveway, and I made my way towards the tavern on Hadley.

     I finally made it to Hadley street, I kept driving and looking for the tavern that said Mad Max.

     I know it's a weird name.

     I finally found the glowing red sign that read: Mad Max, and I parked across the street from the tavern. I made my way out of the truck, and locked the door. It was a warm night, there were people outside of the tavern, and they were smoking and drinking.

     I made my way towards the door, and I made my into the tavern. I looked around the tavern, I saw a bunch of small tables filled with people and a a medium-sized stage in the center of the place. There was band on there playing, and their was a thick cloud of smoke circulating the tavern.

     "Hey, Van, over here!" I heard someone call me.

     I looked over to a table with familiar faces, and I saw Mary standing up waving at me. She was dressed in jean shorts, a white blouse and some cowboy boots. I quickly glanced down at my ensemble. It consisted of high waited jean shorts, a cropped ACDC shirt and some worn out black converse.

     Oh well...

     I made my way over to the table, and greeted Mary, "Hi."

     Mary stood up, "You remember Matt, Brandon, Slick and Jerry. Right?" Mary said as she pointed out each one of them again

     I nodded my head, and replied, "Yup."

     "You guys remember, Van, right?" Mary asked as she gestured to me

     "How could we forget?" Slick said, as he looked up at me and winked.

     I looked at him, and gave him a small smile Mary pulled a seat over for me, "There's Slick being his charming self." Mary chuckled, and I sat down in my seat.

     I looked around the club, and felt somewhat awkward. I just sat and listened to the conversations around me, "Are you going to have a drink?" Brandon asked.

     My thoughts were interrupted, and I looked at him, "Uh, no, I can't." I stated.

     Brandon gave me a confused look, and leaned his arms on the table, "Why not? He asked.