Chapter 18: Church

As I got out of Eric's truck I saw a small, white church, and it had beautiful stained glass windows. The stained glass consisted of random colorful glass, and some of them depicted a cross on it. On the top of the church there was a bell, surrounding the church was grass, beautiful lush trees and the lake. It was one of those quaint country churches and I found my self admiring it.

     I looked around and I didn't see anyone around, "So, you're going to take me to church?" I asked curiously, "I don't see anyone else." I added observantly.

     Eric came around to my side and he rested his right arm on the hood of his truck, "Yup." He stated simply, "And the reason that there is no one else here is because the service is over already." He added.

     I furrowed my brows at him and I glanced at the church, "So, then, what's the point?"

     Eric smirked at me, he came closer to me and stretched his hand out toward me, "I want to show you something."

     I looked at his hand curiously, I hesitantly took it and I gave him a small smile, "Okay..." I agreed.

     We entered the small church and the first thing I noticed was the small, round white holy water bowl next to the entrance. I down the aisle of pews and I saw small white, wooden podium. Behind the podium was a hug stained glass window and in front of it was huge hand carved cross, "You like it?" I heard Eric say.

     I was broken at of my trance, and my head shot up, "Like it? I love it." I stated in awe, "So, why are we here?" I asked.

     Eric grabbed my hand and led me to one of the front pews. We sat down facing the front and we just relaxed for a second taking it all in. There was nothing but silence and it was kind of nice.

      "This is where my parents were married." Eric said breaking the silence.

     I looked up at him surprised, I turned my body to face him, rested my right arm on the back of my pew, and then I laid my hand on my head, "Really?"

     Eric turned his head towards me and nodded his head, "Yea, back in 1970." He smiled at the thought of it, "I remember my mother telling me how she was pregnant with me, and how she could hardly fit in her wedding dress." He chuckled.

     I smiled at this, "So, it was kind of like a..." I trialed off not wanting to finish the sentence.

     "A shotgun wedding?" Eric finished for me. I nodded my head at his question, and he pursed his lips, "Well, I guess technically it was, but, my parents were madly in love with each other. So, it would've happened anyways."

     "That's sweet..."

     Eric looked down at his hands and he shrugged his shoulders, "I guess..." He trialed off.

     I looked at him concerned and said, "What's wrong?"

     Eric looked at the front of the church, and was silent before saying, "This is were her funeral was too..."

     My heart sank at his answer and I looked at him with sympathy, "I'm sorry..."

     "Yea, me too..."

     "What happened?" I asked curiously.

     Eric ran his hands through his hair, and then grabbed the back of the pews in front of us, "Cancer."

     I softly but my lips at this and I was speechless, "When...?"

     Eric looked up at me and I could see the sorrow in his eyes, "It happened when I was eight, I remember finding her in bed and she wouldn't wake up." Eric said as he took a deep breath, "My dad told me that she would be asleep forever..." He added.