Chapter 1.

Copyright 2015 ©
By Shaylah Bond
All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced whatsoever.

Kehlani.

"Not one gift in this world can make me feel more than I already do, all I need is for your love to be raw and true." I stopped singing and noticed the small group of people that were watching me place money into my bestfriend's guitar case.
I looked in the case and only saw 10 dollars, it wasn't a lot but it was something.
"How much did you get today?" My bestfriend Edward asked.

"10 dollars."

"Oh, well that's more than yesterday." He sighed.

I never thought this would be me..I'm a 17 year old girl singing any and everywhere I can to make money to support myself. I know what you're thinking: Where's your mom? Well it would be nice if she was around but unfortunately she's been on drugs all my life. Luckily she gave me to my aunt to raise me when I was a couple months old and if it wasn't for her I don't know where I would be. This is my junior year in high school and most girls look forward to prom but not me, I was focused on one thing and one thing only...singing and as long as I have breath in my body and working vocal cords that's what I plan to do.

"With the 5 dollars you made yesterday and the 10 the you made today you should be able to buy those new shoes sooner than we thought, along with the money I'm going to give you." Edward said packing his guitar up handing me the money.

"No Eddie you don't have to give me any-"

"I don't know why you won't accept my help Lani you know I'm just trying to-"

"I know. You're just trying to make sure I'm okay and trust me Eddie I am I don't care if I have to get out here and sing a thousand songs that's what I'm going to do." I said reassuring him.

"Ok but if you ever need anything you know I'm here right?"

"Right."

August.

I stood on the corner and watched the cars pull in and out the block when my phone rang.

"You got the rocks?" He asked.

"Yeah nigga you know I only got the best."

"Aight man I'm on my way."

I watched and waited until I saw the dark blue car pull off as I stepped off the sidewalk.

"Dis all man?"

"Yeah das all I got on me today man"

"Aight how much dis shit is?" He sighed.

"200" I said as we locked hands while I slid him his cocaine he slid me the money.

He drove off and I stood in original spot on the corner.I really don't know how long I can do this drug shit no more, I promised my mama I was gonna stop when she found the cocaine in her house but that was 3 years ago and I'm still here. I knew I had to stop when my brudda Mel got murdered 2 years ago. I never knew I could hurt that much, I cut everybody off for almost a year afta' dat and said I wasn't never comin' back but a nigga gotta do what a nigga gotta do.

I did another transaction which made the 10th one today. This job wasn't legal or safe but it pays good money and a nigga always need money.

Kehlani.

I opened the front door of my aunt's house and was greeted by the smell of mexican food. I went in my room closing and locking the door. I pulled out a small box and put my money in it. I unlocked my door and went to the kitchen and was stopped by my aunt.

"Hola mija" She spoke quickly holding my arms.

"Hey Aunt Kryssie" I smiled politely trying to look over her shoulder.

"Oh um dinner's almost ready sweetie" She spoke rushing me out of the kitchen.

Suddenly I felt the urge to turn around and as I did I saw someone sitting at the kitchen table and I instantly knew who it was.....my mother. I stormed out of the kitchen going to my room and slamming the door shut. As tears rolled down my face I placed my hands on the dresser and completely broke down. As I wiped my tears away I looked at the ceiling making prayer hands.

"God please be with me."

August.

I went into my mama house and went to my room. I took a small safe I had and put my money from today in it. 2000 dollars. Sure I make this much everyday everybody in New'awlins know I only supply them with the best. I walked back downstairs and looked at the couch seeing my mama husband sleep on the couch, my mama keep telling me he just ti'ed but everybody and they gram' mama can tell he high he been getting high fo' damn near 15 years and I was sicka' this shit. I nudged him and of course he ain't move so I kicked him waking him up.

"What the hell you kickin' me fa'" He slurred.

"Cuz I needa get to the couch and yo high ass layin' thea'"

"Boy, don't talk ta' yo father like that."

"You ain't and neva' will be no father of mine."

Befo' I knew it the nigga punched me inna face. Next thing I know we fighting onna floor. My mama walked in and yelled at us to break it up.

"Mama I'm ti'ed of you choosing this nigga ova me he don't do shit and ain't been shit since you married his bitch ass."

"Boy, whatchu not gon' do is disrespect me and my husband in my own damn house and if you don't wanna live by my rules you can leave."

"Fine I'on needa be hea' anyway"

I ran up to my room and started packin' my shit. I walked out the house not talkin' to nobody. Once I got outside I walked for a couple minutes then stopped and sat on the sidewalk. I looked up at the sky and sighed.

"God please be with me."

First chapter done! More about aug next chapter just wanted to introduce them a little more to yall. Kehlani-Raw&True in the MM.