Chapter 34.

Kehlani.

I slid on the new dress I had just bought and fluffed the curls in my hair out.

"Lani hurry up we're gonna be late." My little sister said as I applied my make-up.

"I'm coming just give me a minute."

Once I was ready me and my sisters left. August decided it would be best if he picked his family up since he knew I was probably going to be late.

Which I was.

I drove to the venue for the rehearsal dinner which would also host our wedding and reception tomorrow.

When I walked in I was greeted by my grandparents,my aunt Kryssie, and my mother.

After I talked to them for a while I heard Cha and the girls making their entrance so I knew everyone else was there also.

Aug greeted me with a kiss before we got everyone introduced.

"Ms. Sheila this is Rosa, my mother."

"Oh, nice to meet you." Ms. Sheila said hesitantly.

"This is my aunt who raised me Krystal."

"Hello how are you?" Ms. Sheila said in a much nicer tone.

"I'm fine." Aunt Kryssie said with a agitated look as I sighed.

I could already tell what kind of night this was gonna be.

As we sat down and ate we made small talk about the wedding until Ms. Sheila decided to talk my aunt.

"So are you excited for the big day Krystal?" She asked politely.

"Actually, no I'm not."

"May I ask why?"

"Well you see I don't neccessarily agree with the decisions my niece has made for your son." She said bluntly.

"And what 'decisions' are those?" Ms. Sheila asked as she shifted in her seat.

"Well starting with her moving here. I'm not aware of what you do in New Orleans but in Oakland we don't abandon family."

"You know it's funny you say that because you surely did abandon Lani when she needed you the most." Aug cut in.

The table went silent.

"Lani is this the man you choose to be with? To have children with?" My aunt asked me as I looked at her as if she was crazy.

"Do you honestly think I would be sitting here if I didn't?" I asked as I took a sip of water.

"You have made some dumb decisions in your life." My mother muttered.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard what I said."

"What decisions did I make that could have possibly been worst than the ones you made?"

"You moved." My aunt said sternly.

"I ain't gonna sit here and listen to y'all just bash my baybeh as if she did something wrong because she didn't. I would've moved to Oakland for her if she asked me too." Aug stated as he got angry making me grip his thigh to try and calm him down.

"And I would've supported him." Ms. Sheila said as she stared directly at my aunt.

"No one asked you." My mother said.

"You know what ma I'm sick and tired of you coming into my life and fucking good things up for me." I said as Cha took Kennedy and the girls out of the room.

"I know you're mad because you missed out on my life because you were strung out on drugs but that has nothing to do with how you treat me." I spoke as I looked at her.

"Lani you're mother was sick."

"No Aunt Kryssie she wasn't. I refuse to have her blame me for her choosing to stick a needle in her arm or snort crack up her nose. That wasn't my choice."

After I said that I felt something wet hit my face as I touched to see what it was I noticed it was spit.

My mother had just spit on me.

In a fit of rage I reached across the table and started swinging on her. Aug was yelling but I couldn't hear anything. I was focused on taking out all the anger I had built up for 18 years.

I was lifted off of my feet by Travis and taken into another room as I heard August and my Aunt Kryssie in a shouting match.

"You don't deserve her!"

"No you don't deserve her!" Aug yelled back.

"Fuck you. You broke ass good for nothing ass nigga." Aunt Kryssie yelled as I tried to get up but Trav held me down.

"What you just call him?" I heard Ms. Sheila say and before I knew it I heard a bunch of commotion and saw Ms. Sheila being carried out by a security guard.

"Aug what just happened?" I asked as he walked towards me.

"My mama and yo' aunt got in a fight but it's okay."

"What? No it's not okay this night was supposed to be special. We get married tomorrow we can't have everybody mad and fighting at our wedding August." I said as I began to cry.

"I know baybeh. I know." Aug said as he kneeled down and pulled me into a tight hug.

Some rehearsal dinner that was.

-
Told y'all there was going to be drama lol.

How y'all feel about Rosa?

What about Aunt Kryssie?

Was Ms. Sheila right for taking up for Aug and Lani?

Don't forget the Wedding is next :) :) :) -Shay