The Other Side Chapter 18

Chapter 18  

 “How was your date?” I groggly ask Panna when I walk into the kitchen.  

She was sitting at the table reading the newspaper. She dropped it and gave me one of the cheesiest smiles ever. She looked like that Cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland.  

“HE PROPOSED!!” She screams running over to give me a hug.  

 “Ok! Enough I can’t breathe,” I try to pull myself out of her bear hug.

  “Look!” she says while waving her hand in my face.

  “Oh my gosh,” I say grabbing her hand, “What a rock!”   The ring must have cost a fortune because the diamonds were huge!  

 “I know! That’s what I said!” she shouted.   You know, I’m kind of happy Milton proposed to Panna. It’s like all of a sudden her attitude just changed. Who knows? Maybe their marriage will make her less of an uptight “parent” and more of a fun sister.  

 “He must have been saving up for a while,” I say.   “I know. He told me he spent at least 3 grand! This ring has to be about 14 karats.”  

 “Wow,” I say quietly.  

 “I know. Dominique! I’m getting married! AHHH!” she screams while jumping up and down.  

 “Yeah, I know-,”  

 “I need to find a wedding planner! And a dress! And a venue! Ugh and I have to finish my article,” she scurries around the room, “There’s so much to do! So much to do!” she scurries out the room.  

“Panna! Wait,” I follow her to the office.  

 “What Dominique? Can’t you see I’m busy,” she sits down at her Mac and opens up a document.   “Yeah, yeah. I just wanted you to know I’m going out tonight,” I tell her.

   “Ok, ok. Yeah, yeah. Just call if you’re sleeping over someone’s house,” she says, typing away.  

“Yeah, alright. I’m going to the hospital now, okay?” I notify her.

  “Yeah, yeah. Now shoo,” she bats me away with a manicured hand.  

 *  *  *  

 “Guess what I have!” I saunter into Erin’s room.  

 She looks up from her book with a smile.

  “Donuts!” I walk over to her bed and sit down next her, “I got your favorites: glazed, apple crumb, sugar raised and vanilla crème filled,” I open the Dunkin Donuts box. I can hear the angels singing. I haven’t had donuts in literally forever!  

 “Oh and I forgot your sweet tea in my car. I’ll be right back,” I grab a boston crème and head to my car and get the drinks.  

 “A small sweet tea for you,” I place it on the night stand, “and a vanilla chai for me,” I say before taking a sip.

  “Thanks,” she smiles like a kid in a candy store. She takes out a glazed donut, “Mmmmmm! It’s been so long good friend,” she closes her eyes, savoring the sweet taste.   I let out a little chuckle,

“Oh, yes it has,” I say before reaching for a vanilla frosted.

  “So, are you almost done with Twilight?” I ask sitting next to her on the bed.  

 “Almost, I only have one more chapter left,” she licks her sticky fingers and grabs a sugar raised donut.  

 “Oh, cool. What book do you want to read after?” I ask.