12) The First to Go

Lily's P.O.V

"What's the matter with you?" I prodded, shoving Marlene's shoulder. "This soooo isn't like you!"

"Isn't it?" Marlene asked, glaring. "I just- I just had a long couple of nights, okay? I was up with Sirius really late. We were talking about some... some important things," she told me. She spoke at the speed of a snail, her words dragging and her voice the color grey. 

"Important things like Sirius's sexuality?" I remarked, before realizing what I had said and clapped my hands over my mouth. Oh, I was busted. Goodbye cruel world! 

Marlene looked at me like she wanted to bite my neck off. "You were spying on me?" She demanded. No 'how did you know?' or 'was it that obvious?'. "Let's be honest, Lily, I knew you had heard something. You might be named after a flower, but you're not the most graceful. I thought you had left after you heard us talking. I thought you'd know it was private!" 

I bit my lip and avoided eye contact. "I did and I'm sorry! I wasn't going to tell Remus anyway!" 

"How much did you hear?" Marlene asked softly, her works accelerating in speed so it sounded more like a coherent sentence. 

"Enough to know that Sirius is gay and likes Remus, and that he's really worried and scared." 

"Okay." 

Silence thicker than cookie dough engulfed the dormitory. We were the only ones up there, everyone else was at dinner. It was times like these where I could appreciate the silence which was oh so rare in a boarding school of magic teenagers. However, this silence was different than the golden silence that felt magic in the midnight air when I was awake alone. This was thick and heavy. A slab of metal latched on to the bottom of my  heart. A thick layer of hardened cement on the soles of my shoes. 

Before I could say anything, Alice ran in, gasping for breath. "It's Frank!" She cried. "He's m-m-missing!" 

"Calm down, sweetie," Marlene said, opening her arms. "Lily- this can wait. Alice, can you tell us where everyone is?" 

"Gr-gr-great hall. Dumbledore w-w-wanted me to get you." Marlene nodded and slipped out the door. Alice looked at me with eyes filled with oceans of sorrow. "This w-war is r-r-really happening, i-isn't it?" She asked. 

And that was the ugly truth. 

--

Jame's P.o.v

I ran my hand through my hair and looked up to the ceiling, sighing. It was good to be out of the Great Hall, but I was afraid to be in the dormitory alone. No one knew how Frank had vanished so easily. He was always so stuck to Alice, how had he been caught alone? Sirius's theory was that he was snatched from the toilets, but I wouldn't be surprised if Alice followed him in there. 

"Oi, mate," Sirius whispered, coming into our room. In his hand was a small piece of paper. His skin was a ghostly pale. "I found this on Longbottum's bed. You open it," he said softly. "Moony, Wormtail, get over here!" 

The small note slipped into my hand. It was folded into two small squares.  "Should I read it?" I asked. "I don't want to be reading Frank's person shit." 

"Read it," Remus assured me. 

I slowly unfolded it. 

SURRENDER TO THE DARK LORD OR HE WONT BE THE LAST

It read in dramatic lettering. The bottom was signed with a strange image of a scull with a snake seemingly eating the brains out of it. 

"Cut it, Prongs, I can't see! Your hand is shaking!" Peter hissed, trying to peek over my shoulder. 

"We need to see Dumbledore," Remus's voice shook.

A/N: 

Heyyyy! I'm home sweet home again! School doesn't start up for two weeks so you can probably get a couple more consistent posts from me. 

I figured after all my time away, I owed you a real chapter with OH I DON'T KNOW plot. Maybe now that I can plot, the chapters will get longer? I DON'T KNOW, DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT! 

As usual, thank you thank youthank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you for reading and VOTING AND COMMENTING! I appreciate it all! 

Love you!

Lily