14) The Search and The Fight

James' P.O.V

There's nothing I love more than being woken up at 3 AM. 

That's a lie. 

In fact, I love a lot more things than being up at 3 AM. For instance, that face Lily Evans makes when she's about to hit me in the back of the head, Sirius' corny jokes, not Peter. 

But alas, it was not Lily Evan's beautiful 'going to hit me' face that woke me up at 3 AM. 

It was Remus' panicked shaking and terrible morning breath. 

"James! James, you need to wake up  right now!" He said, shaking me around. He was panting as if he had just ran up and down the stairs at least 7 times. 

"Another nightmare, Remus? Really?" I asked, sitting up and reaching for my glasses. "Also, do us all a favor, mate, and brush your bloody teeth!" 

Remus grimaced. "James, this is serious!"

"Okay, okay, what is it, Moony?"

"Sirius is missing." 

---

"Where did you see him last?" McGonogal asked, pacing back and forth in her office. 

"Dinner," Remus answered instantly. "He just got up and left. I figured he was going to go pick on Marlene or something but- but- I dunno. He's been acting really weird lately. Marlene's been really nice to 'im, too, and you know how they are, professor." 

McGonogal nodded. "I'm quite aware, Mr. Lupin. As for you, James? Do you have any idea where he could be?" 

My hand was tangled in my hair and my lip was bleeding from my panicked chewing. "No, I have no idea, professor. I can't believe- I can't believe I let him wander off without me. Bloody hell- what's my Mum going to say? Oh, she's going to go ballistic! Professor... what do we do?" I asked, looking up to meet her eyes. 

"I can see that you boys are traumatized over this, but it- it can be alright. For now, we wait. I'm afraid there's not much else we can do, boys." 

"No, no, that can't be it!" Remus cried. "We have to do something! We can't just sit here and do nothing about it! Sirius is gone and- and- and we need to find him! No! I wont just sit her while our best friend has been kidnapped!" 

I took a deep breath. "Professor, we aren't going to be able to do anything without knowing we've done something to help Sirius return." 

McGonogal wasn't satisfied with this. "I know, boys, but there's nothing to do. I cared for Sirius, too, you know. He was- is one of my students, and I would do anything for my students. But for now, we can't. We're going  to have to wait," she said firmly. "Now, I'm going to have to ask you to go to bed before I have to resort to sending you there myself."

I opened my mouth to argue, but Remus beat me to it. "Fine, professor. We're going," he grumbled and dragged me out by the back of my t-shirt. We made our way back into the boy's dormitory without saying a word. 

"James," a soft voice hissed as I climbed back into bed. 

"Ah fuck. What now?" I whispered to myself and reached for my wand. "Who goes there?"

"James, it's me, you fool! Ugh! Lumos," Marlene's face appeared before me in the small light of her wand. "I'm not here to kill you or whatever. There's something I have to tell you." 

I glanced around at the three beds around me. Remus had his head under his pillow and Peter had been asleep this entire time. A jab of sorrow went through me when I saw Sirius' vacant bead. "Marls? How'd you get in here?" I asked, putting my glasses on for the second time since I went to bed the night before. 

"Doesn't matter. We need to talk. It's- it's about Sirius," she whispered. I moved over so she could sit on my bed. 

"We know, he's missing. We already told McGonogal. There's nothing we can do about it," I answered. "But, seriously, how'd you get in here?" 

"It doesn't matter, Potter! But was does matter is that there's something Sirius didn't tell you before he went off and got himself bloody kidnapped!" Marlene hissed. "Something that might help us figure out why he left the great hall without telling anyone!" 

"Wait, were you listening to our conversation with McGonogal?" 

"No, I was having a bloody tea party. Of course I was listening! Do you want to know or not?" She asked, getting more and more frustrated by the minute. 

"There's nothing I don't know about Sirius, Marlene," I said, tilting my head to the side. 

Marlene raised an eyebrow. "Well did you know he's gay and in love with Remus?" She asked. "Because that's what he told me the other night when I came to ask why he was no longer with me." She looked so tired. She looked so worried. She looked like she was trying so hard and that she couldn't take it anymore. "Because that's why he's been so off lately and why he feels like an alien." 

I froze. "Why- what- Marlene. That's impossible. He would've told me." 

She shook her head. "Obviously not. Because it's possible. And it's happening. I didn't want to have to be the one to tell you, he wanted to do it himself, but I think this could help us figure out how to get him back." 

"Wait, why didn't he tell me?" 

"I don't know, James! He thought you'd make fun of him or something. You, Remus, Peter, you're all he's got nowadays. He wasn't about to ruin that."

"Bloody hell, Marlene. I haven't been the brother he needed me to be. I screwed up." 

"Yeah, James, you have! Now what are we going to do about it?" Marlene grumbled. Remus rolled over in his bed behind us. "We can't tell Remus, though. Sirius would kill us," she whispered. 

I chuckled. "Can't tell Remus that Sirius is in love with him? Yeah, you're right. The poor kid would have a heart attack." 

Marlene raised an eyebrow. "What are you talking about, James?" She asked. 

"Remus is obviously obsessed with him. The two were like, meant for each other."

Marlene grinned. "I have an idea," she said. 

"I have the feeling I don't like this idea very much." 

"Oh, you will."