13) A Slave of the World

A/N QUICK: Hey guys, it's been a while. School is awful. Life is hard. To try and get away from things, I'm going down my list of works and trying to add a quick chapter to each. Enjoy! I hope it isn't too bad. Thank you for your patience, you all have been too kind to me. I don't know what I'd do without you.

James's P.O.V

"Yes, this could be problematic," Dumbledore agreed, admiring the note. 

"Yeah... and?" Sirius prodded. 

"What do you propose we do about it?" Dumbledore asked us, folding the note in his hand. 

"Is- is this a test? Are- are you- what?" Remus asked. 

Dumbledore smiled softly. "You are all promising young students. What do you think we should do in this situation?" Was he insane? We were fifteen-year-old, nearly failing, students. 

"We need to- we need more... security!" Sirius shouted. "Yeah. Have all of the head of houses or prefects to take attendance for each of the houses. Everyone should sleep in their common rooms.  Yeah. And have all of the portraits stand clear and make sure the students get to class safely." 

Remus shook his head. "But what about the threat?"

I smirked. "He wont be able to take anyone with the high security. Have everyone use the buddy system when they can't be escorted by a professor. Defense Against the Dark Arts classes should go over some of the more defensive spells." I looked around at my friends, who all seemed to agree. Even Wormtail looked pleased. 

"Dumbledore?" Sirius prodded. 

The headmaster smiled. "It's as good as I could've done."

"Really?" Moony asked, unimpressed. 

"Oh, yes. It's quite an acceptable plan. I'll inform the staff right away. Thank you for your help," Dumbledore said with a faint smile. "You may return to your dorms now." 

Lily's P.O.V

It wasn't 24 hours before the next student was taken. A first-year slytherin girl, found in the second floor girl's bathroom with the words 'surrender now or this chaos with continue' etched into the stone and enchanted to never come off. McGonogal even tried knocking the wall down, but it stood as strong as- well... stone.  A permanent reminder that the world was ending and there was absolutely nothing I- or any of us- could do about it. In a few thousand years when a new species has repopulated the Earth to discover the rubble that lies around them, they'll see the wall. Maybe it would help them figure out who was here before them and why they disappeared. Maybe wizards and witches and muggles alike will just become the new dinosaurs. Would the new species ever know? Would they ever even think that a human named Lily walked the Earth? No. Probably not. 

Lily! Snap out of it! I told myself and continued to doodle little dinosaurs on my herbology notes. I lightly brushed them with my wand and they began to eat little leaves I had made out of the letter As. 

"There are no wands in this lesson, Miss Evans," the professor commented in a stern voice, "unless you're about to amaze us by turning your diagram into a living plant." 

I slid my wand back into my bag. "No, ma'am. Sorry, ma'am. May I use the restroom?" 

"You had plenty of time to do that before class, Miss Evans. Waste your own time. This is mine." 

"Please, ma'am, I really have to go." 

The professor grumbled to herself and shuffled her papers. "Fine. Bring someone with you- you know the new policy. And that's three points from Gryffindor for disrupting my class." 

"Thank you, professor," I said as I stood. I didn't even care that the entire class was staring at me as I confessed that I needed to wee. The room was getting hotter and my breathes shallow and I needed to get out of there before my head exploded. I tapped Marlene on the shoulder when I walked by her, so she stood and followed me. "I just have to clear my head," I said as soon as we were out of the green house. 

Marlene leaned against my shoulder. "I know what you mean. I didn't know the girl as well as I knew Frank-" 

I frowned. "Don't use past tense." 

"What?" Marlene asked. 

"You said you 'didn't know her as well as you knew Frank'. Past tense."

"Oh. Sorry." 

We were silent for the rest of the day. 

Sirius's P.O.V

I left dinner without telling anyone where I was going, because I didn't know myself until I stumbled upon the first broom closet I saw. I had my first kiss with Melanie Wahlmban in there back in first year. I had my second kiss with her brother in there two days later. Her brother was expelled three days later for fighting a gang of kids who called him a faggot. 

A fucking straight world.

Why is the world so straight? 

I want to fuck shit up. 

Must not call attention. 

I want to be with him. 

I'm next. 

I'm gay. 

Fucking faggot. 

No one is more homophobic than the gay. No one in this world of straight people, so blind to my world, hates gay people more than I. I am the most gay. 

I am the most gay. 

I hate myself. 

I have to find James.

I have to tell Remus. 

Fucking Remus. 

Fucking me. 

No. 

I have to stop.

Stop talking. Stop thinking. Stop feeling. Just stop. Put the world on halt. 

But I'm the world's slave. 

And the world is so, so, so straight. 

I am a slave to the straight. 

A cold hand girded around my neck, sending chills up my spine. "Oh, Sirius. You made it too easy," a voice that sounded like metal on ice chuckled. "No one's easier than a broken young man." 

That was the last thing I heard before I was gagged and knocked out.