Chapter 6: Defining the terms of Marriage

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

Did you go to sleep with a bee or something?

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

Or maybe something else, a hard object that has a vibrate option, perhaps?

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

I groaned and pulled my head up from my pillow, my hair was a mess and sticking up like a pointy afro. Looking towards the buzzing sound I saw it was my phone alarm that was screaming at me.

Well I did say something hard with a vibration option didn't I?

I pouted and moved my sleepy muscles over towards the stupid piece of technology and looked at the time. Ten, forty-five. Shit. I sprung out of bed quickly regretting it the second all my blood rushed from my head leaving me light headed and falling back into bed.

Note to Sky; get up slowly next time, it helps keep dinner down.

Commando rolling out my bed, this time, I landed on the floor with a loud thud. God that's cold! I really need to invest in heated floors. Pulling myself up I walked into my bathroom and pulled off that too tight black dress from last night that I had slept in – with the zipper down, of course, so I could breathe. Quickly wiping off my make-up, I ran a brush through my hair now crazy and curly and tied it back letting the curls fall to mid back. Brushing my teeth and putting on a cherry pink lip gloss to try and cover up the cracks in my lips from lack of hydration I thought about what to wear.

What does one wear when discussing the terms of marriage and prenup with your future mother-in-law.

A jumpsuit with the words 'escapee from mental asylum' across the front?

I decided to go with black jeans, a light grey top and a black blazer with my white heels and a few bangles. It looked smart, classy – well kind of – and respectable as well as fashionable - at least I hoped it was.

Walking out of my room I was thankful that Jessie wasn't here to bombard me with questions about how last night had gone. She didn't approve of my decision to go through with it and I didn't really want to face her disappointed face before I have a face down with a member of the Renner family. I needed to stay focussed and on point.

Yes Focus is good!

Which brings me to another problem. How to shut my inner self up long enough to get through this lunch?

Alcohol always works.

Not in my favour it doesn't.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed my keys deciding I would just think about it on the way there. Catching a cab I read out the address to the restaurant that Mrs Renner had texted me late last night asking me to meet her for lunch. I didn't really remember texting her back, or even setting an alarm to wake me up last night but according to my phone I did a great deal of texting last night.

Yeah somewhere after the six pack of Bacardi.

The taxi dropped me off on the opposite side of the street giving me a perfectly daunting view of the modern styled restaurant. I took a deep breath and nodded to myself. I can do this. It's just a meeting, like a business deal right?

Yes Sky, just like a business deal! The kind where you're selling your soul to the devil for a selfish need, only your selling your body to an arrogant rich guy and your selfish need is more of a 'financial issue'.

Here we go. I swallowed the thick lump in my throat that made it difficult to breathe and crossed the road, walking into the modern restaurant.

I wonder what she'll ask you.