Chapter 35: Meeting Old Foes

We walked into the Guerrero household hand in hand. Anthony had dressed down from his normal business attire with grey slacks and a loose white shirt that was opened at the collar to ensure this didn't appear to be a business deal. I was wearing a white summer dress with thin straps and heart shaped bodice with small blue and purple flowers scattered across the skirt of the dress and a diamond cut out in the back.

"Just through here." Their housekeeper spoke with a small smile as she lead us out into the patio that was enclosed by white lattice.

Their house was immaculate. A big house with bright colours and expensive art works and sculptures.

"Skylar!" I turned hearing my name to find Jackie Guerrero running at me with her arms opened wide. "How are you?" She hugged me catching me a little by surprise. I hadn't thought that we bounded that well at the opera but I wasn't going to knock it.

"I'm good thanks. You're house is so lovely Mrs Guerrero."

"Oh please call me Jackie." She released me from her hug and waved off my formal communication. "I have to show you my art collections, you'll love them." She gushed taking my hand in hers and leading me off towards her art collection.

I looked over my shoulder briefly to see Anthony give me a brief wink and a smile - either for support or in mocking, which I wasn't quite sure of yet.

Jackie Guerrero was a woman of many words and she didn't need much to promote her next ramble. And I was glad that little was needed from me to prompt the next lead in conversation. After a long discussion about brush strokes and colours of famous paintings we finally joined the boys for lunch. Anthony looked well at ease as he chatted casually with Boyd being sure to avoid the topic of business all together until they had more of a bond.

As we picked at a light lunch of chicken and salad we all made light conversation. After only a few hours I excused myself from the table with the excuse of needing to use the bathroom, but really I just needed a break from the company.

I wandered back into the entryway where the air was coolest and looked around at the decorations. "This is kind of cool." I nodded as I reached out and touched a sculpture of a person, running my hand along the arm. The loud cracking sound as it broke off in my hand had my heart stopping.

"Oh my god." I panicked as the arm hit the floor making my body tip over slightly with the heavy weight, leaving me swaying in my heels.

I looked around in distress. Please dear god, tell me no one saw that.

I leave you for ten minutes and you've already had more fun without me. What is this?

Quick where can I hide this? I looked around the small entrance for somewhere to dump the large arm of stone.

There was a big ugly pot plant just around the corner.

Yes! Turned around I dragged the arm across the perfectly tiled floor and back to where the pot plant was decorating a corner. Grabbing the arm with both hands I lifted it up and pushed it into the pot, moving the shrub to cover every inch of the stone.

Taking a step back I looked at my handy work.

"You can't really see it." I nodded in approval.

Unless of course you were standing close to it then you'd probably notice the grey stone hand poking out of the top of the bright green plant.

"Minor details," I waved my hand at my inner self and continued to admire my hiding skills.

"Skylar?" I froze hearing my name. My heart pumped my blood quickly around my body as a slight tremble of panic hit me once again.