Chapter 26: Changing the Rules of the Game

I opened my eyes, blinking a little rapidly as they adjusted to the light. My head hurt, my stomach was making more noises than the birds outside and I think, I stunk a little bit - probably the mix of alcohol, seawater and sweat from the night before.

Stretching out my still-so-tried muscles I looked around the room. It was still dark thanks to the curtains being closed. I pulled myself up out of bed and slowly, into the bathroom. My hair felt disgusting full of seawater and the unlimited hair spray that was put in only hours before.

Turning on the tap, I splashed water all over my face and then pulled my hair up into a small ball on top of my head before skilfully pulling on a beanie to keep it all out of face. It was a truly great invention, no matter what anyone says.

Adding some deodorant I walked back into the bedroom and looked at the bed for a brief moment. My side of the bed was a mess but the other side was completely untouched. I thought about Anthony for a brief moment, my mind started to wonder where he was, where he spent last night and then suddenly the words he spoke drifted back into my consciousness. It still hurt, hearing those words as I remembered them.

'Not exactly mentally stable either. I fear for my own sanity.'

'Can't wait for those divorce papers.'

'Pretty little assistant and a new company to play with.'

Shaking my head clear of thought I unlocked the bedroom door. Peeking my head out of the room, I looked around the small bit of the apartment I could see. Walking out of the room, I slowly checked for signs of life.

The key to the apartment was still missing from the hall table and only my phone sat alone next to the colourful candle.

"Hey Asshole, you home?" I called out. I was pretty sure he wasn't here so I didn't bother hiding my disapproval. I was still angry and having thoughts breaching the psychotic.

Silence. Pure beautiful silence.

Picking up my phone, I saw twenty missed calls and over fifty messages. My eyes widened in shock, as I looked through the messages, all of them basically the same:

Sky?

Where are you?

Where the hell are you?

Pick up?

I swear when I get a hold of you I am going to strangle you!

I had a few more missed calls from Jessie as well. Not bothering to check my voice mail, I called Jessie to make sure everything was okay.

"Sky?!" She all but squealed into the phone.

"Hey Jess, What's up?"

"Where the hell have you been?!" She started to raise her voice at me.

"Um, at home." I frowned a little confused.

Sleeping in my mass of pillows and blankets.

"Sky we thought you drowned!" She was screaming at me now, "You went outside, you were a little tipsy we thought you fell over board!"

"Is that her?" I heard Anthony call out in the background. "Give me the fucken phone!"

I could already feel his anger, the tension, and I didn't like it at all.

"Skylar I swear to god I'm gonna - " I hung up on him not wanting to know what he was going to do to me once he got a hold of me.

That was a stupid move Sky.