Chapter 4: A Building and a Boy

Dr. White walked towards me.

"Are you ready?" He asked.

"Yeah..." I said as Mr. Crown's car was completely out of my sight.

"Ok, this way." he said walking to the smaller building. It looked stable, but I felt like it could fall down any minute. When we walked inside, the place was a dump. There was trash everywhere, broken furniture, and stains all over the walls.

"Wow..." I said.

"Yeah, wait till you see the rooms." he said showing me the first one. The bed was broken, clothes were everywhere, and the windows were smashed.

Everything about this house screamed "Abandoned house which someone decided to destroy." We had a few of those back at home.

"This is the Secretaries fault. I've been trying to get him to let us redo it, but he doesn't think it is important. I don't know what to do." He said.

"I have an idea. Tell him that if we don't get to redo it how I want it, then I won't stay here. I think that will get his attention. There is plenty of land out here. We don't even have to tear the house down. We could build it behind the main building on the field." I said observing the size of the land and already having the plan ready.

"That's a great idea! I'll give him a call." He said walking away.

I walked out of the house and sat on the rope swing. I was thinking about the plan for the new building when I felt someone push me.

"Hi Samantha, I'm Justin Long. I'm your partner." A boy who looked my age said smiling and waking in front of me. He had Bleach blonde Hair, blue eyes, pale skin, and was really tall. His smile was blinding.

"Does everyone here know me already?" I asked. He laughed.

"Not really a whole lot of people are here, so most likely." He said.

"Please tell me you don't live in that dump of a house." I said.

"No, I live in the guest room that Melinda Smith lived in." he said.

"So Dr. White? What's he like? He seems extremely interested in... well in my abilities as he calls them." I said.

"He's pretty cool. He is the only one of them, that I know of, who think of us as people and not science experiments. As for his interest in you, he spent most of his life trying to prove his theory about us. I'm pretty sure you would be excited too. I've read Mr. Crowns report on you. I understand why he is so interested. You seem like a very amazing girl." He said smiling again.

"I don't feel amazing. I feel like a freak." I said.

"I do too sometimes. I try to think of myself like Dr. White does, extraordinary and lucky, but I feel like the most unlucky person in the world." He said.

"So, what was in Mr. Crowns report exactly?" I asked curiously.

"That's classified information." He said mocking the government officials. I busted out laughing and he joined me in laughter.

"Seriously though, I really want to know." I said out of breathe from laughing so loud.

"Just some stuff about how you got there, your background, how you destroyed his barn with your hands, you're a hard worker, and how your magenta eyes are absolutely beautiful." He said. I blushed. My eyes were the reason my birth parents left me. They were part of the reason why my classmates laughed at me. No one had ever told me they were beautiful before.

"That wasn't in the report." I said forcing a laugh.

"Well, then he left out a very important detail." He said smiling. His smile was perfect.