Superman

AN: This is my first Pentatonix fan fiction so please be nice! I'm not sure whether or not to continue this story or just leave it as a one-shot so please let me know in the comments if I should...

----------------------

Kirstie Maldonado sighed as she walked out of the stage door after a long night of singing and screaming fans. She hated what her career had become. She missed the days when she still had the integrity of being a Broadway performer and not someone who was screeched at every time she hit a high note at one of her performances. Who on earth goes to a Broadway show and spends the entire time screaming and making a nuisance out of themselves? Kirstie knew she should be grateful to her fans, they had helped her become who she was today but she just wished that some of them learnt the meaning of being quiet in a theatre. A year previously, she would love coming out of the stage door as early as possible to greet her fans and take pictures with them but since she won her Tonys and had a year's worth of sold out shows she had begun to leave as late as she could to avoid the squealing. She had gone from rushing off the stage to quickly get changed and heading out in complete show make up to painstakingly removing every single streak of make up, showering and doing her hair before leaving the theatre. She thought that her actions every night would send a message to her fans that she didn't want all the harassment but their commitment hadn't wavered.

Huffing, she began to stumble towards a nearby subway station that took her to her apartment on the Upper East Side. She was careful to get onto the main street as quickly as possible, she hated that the stage door was practically in an alleyway - anyone could have been lurking in the shadows. Even though she had been a New Yorker for years now and had become street smart from her experience, she was still weary of being alone at night. She set of towards Times Square once she had successfully avoiding any creep that may have been there. She relieved to see all the lights still brightly shining and a swarm of people still there despite the fact it was past midnight. New York at night was the best version of New York, all the tourists were in bed after days full of trips up the Empire State Building, and all of New York's characters were out to play.

Leaving the theatre late did have it's advantages as Kirstie quickly found out. She no longer had to walk ten blocks to get to a less crowded subway station as all the ones round Broadway were tourist traps except at night, she rarely got stopped for photos and he busked on the East Side Line between twelve and one every night. A part of her thought she left so late just so she could hear him sing. There was something about his raspy voice and mellow guitar chords that calmed her down - she had even created a playlist of all the songs she had heard him sing for whenever she wanted to relax, it didn't have the same effect as hearing them live but it still worked. She stood at the station anxiously waiting for the train - and him, phone at the ready to google lyrics so she could identify whatever he would be singing that night.

As the train came into the station, Kirstie felt that familiar excited flutter in her stomach hoping that he was on the carriage. His voice was the perfect medicine for a bad night. However, as with the nature of subway buskers, they frequently hopped on and off trains to get as much money as possible. She desperately needed her nerves to be quelled that night as a fan, clad in a 'I heart Kirstie' shirt and sign, had tried to get on stage while she was in the middle of performing a heartfelt ballad. There was no denying the screaming girl who had to get manhandled out of the room was her fan so she had been thoroughly embarrassed but she continued the show nonetheless, the show must go on after all. She had avoided all eye contact with the rest of the cast and crew all night, she hated when a fan turned the show into a concert and she was sure they did to. Despite all of Scott's comforting words to her about how it didn't distract him and the jealously he felt that she had such passionate fans, she couldn't shake off the feeling that she was becoming a gimmick and loosing respect from the theatre community. She loved her fans, the majority of them were the sweetest and most loving fans ever, but there were a select few who were intrusive and rude and that small group affected her deeply.

She was disappointed when she got onto the carriage when she didn't hear him singing in his serene tone. She guessed she was just unlucky and that he was probably on the next train - it had happened a few times before but she had learnt to time her exit from the stage in correspondence with his routine. He was almost like a drug to her, she found his heartfelt songs intoxicating, his voice was deep and mesmerising - and, he was easy on the eyes.

She sighed for what felt like the millionth time that night and sat down on one of the seats lining the wall of the carriage. She was giving up hope when she heard him.

I can't stand to fly, I'm not that naïve.

She looked around for the source of the voice, wishing to catch a glimpse of him. Even his very demeanour was comforting.

I'm just out to find the better part of me.

She spotted him two carriages down and immediately got up and started moving towards him with a mission to get a better view. She mentally thanked her past self for choosing to wear flats that night as trying to surf down the train in heels was not an easy job.

I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane

It was definitely him. The same beanie, the same hair, the same battered guitar. Just seeing him made her smile.

I'm more than some pretty face beside a train.

She came to a halt just feet from him, there were only a few people by him as the time of day meant that most people got a seat so she had a good view. He was singing with his eyes closed as per usual.

It's not easy to be me.

She opened up her phone and googled the words before making a note of the song and title was. She was shocked when she looked up to find a pair of green eyes looking straight at her. She blushed and looked at her feet when she saw the same familiar grin come across his face. They had done this exchange a thousand times before.

I'm only a man in a funny red sheet, I'm only a man looking for a dream.

She looked up again with the knowledge that they were nearing the next station which he would usually get off at. He was still staring at her. All her worries were out of her head now and all she could think of was him and his music.

I'm only a man in a funny red sheet and it's not easy.

She felt the train slowing down and her heart stared to drop. In that moment she wanted to storm up to the drivers compartment and beg for him to keep going just so he would stay longer.

It's not easy to be me.

She clapped as he finished along with the others in the carriage before pulling out her purse and throwing a twenty into the box that was at his feet. He never asked for money or harassed the passengers as other subway performers did which she found extremely humbling. He smiled at her as she stood back up before walking towards her. She thought he was coming to talk to her but then she remembered that she was standing by the door on the side where the platform as going to be.

Her breath caught in her throat as he came near and she inhaled his familiar musky scent. He smirk down at her when he saw the effect he was having on her and blood rushed to her cheeks.

The train came to a halt and the doors opened. She held her breath ready for his departure but was surprised when he didn't get off straight away. Instead he turned to her and muttered "I sang the Boyce Avenue version" and ran off the train to wait for the next one. He must have known what she did with all of his songs but surprisingly, Kirstie wasn't embarrassed.

She sighed once more that night as he departed, hoping that one day he would stay on for just one more stop.

----------------------

Hope you enjoyed this! Let me know if I should continue it, I already have some ideas and a plot planned out which also involves the other band members so I'd be more than willing to continue if people seem to like this.  Thanks for reading :)