Each Coming Night

No Avi this chapter but I wrote some cute Kevstie/Kerstie (? Don't think I've ever seen the two together so I have no idea what to call them). How y'all are having lovely weeks and (*puts my best Avi voice on*)don't forget to vote!

------------------------

He'd been gone a week now and every second Kirstie ached for him to be back. He didn't even need to be with her to fill that gap, just knowing he was back in the city would have made her feel whole again, knowing that she could just get on a train to go and see him. Avi had been in touch, it was't like he had fallen off the face of the earth but the occasional message and the odd phone call was not enough to suffice for him not being in the city.

Kirstie had done everything to feel like he was close to her once more. She'd visit Annie's whenever she was wanting comfort food and to remember him, she'd go to his apartment to visit Esther whenever she could just to feel close to him, she'd even invested in some extra pillows to make her bed feel less empty at night. So far all they had done was made her feel slightly better for a brief period of time, but none of them had made her feel less lonely.

She knew she should just suck it up a wait for him to come back (if he ever did) and stop wallowing in self pity but she just couldn't bring herself to do it, she missed him too much. Instead she found herself outside of an high end apartment in Northern Brooklyn in the break between her matinee and evening performances. Kirstie knocked weakly at first, unsure whether or not this was the right address or whether he would be in but when she heard the shuffling of the feet towards the door and a familiar face behind it, she knew she had found the right place.

"Hey..." She mumbled, looking down at her feet. She felt guilty, like she had invaded his privacy or broke an undisclosed line between the two of them. He was Avi's friend, not her's, the idea of her being there without him was almost absurd.

"Hey, Kirst - come on in, I was just making coffee." Kevin greeted warmly, if he was uncomfortable with her being there he certainly wasn't showing it.

His apartment was grand for Brooklyn, it was complete with wood finishings and plenty of paintings and books, perfectly expressing his man of the world status. It still had the homely but slightly dingy feel of Brooklyn though, no amount of decorating would get rid of that but Kirstie didn't know why anyone would, it reminded her of her childhood, of her dreams and when she first came to the city. She had never really thought about how much money Kevin earned, it was rude to pry but she had assumed that being a back up of the Philharmonic was job that payed not so well but had many perks (such as being invited to various galas and events) however from the state of the place where he lived, he got both. No wonder Avi was so insecure about underachieving.

"So what brings you here?" He called over his shoulder as he brought her into a reasonably sized kitchen for New York, not even the Upper East had big kitchens so finding a good sized one in Brooklyn must of been hard to come by.

Remembering that it was rude, Kirstie stopped her scanning of his apartment with her eyes and cleared her throat to reply to him. "Erm, I just wanted to see how you were doing since I haven't seen you since your birthday and Avi never gave me your number so I thought i'd just drop-"

"You miss him, don't you?" He smirked at her, seeing through her disguise straight away. He wasn't offended that that was the real reason she had come to see him, he was used to being on the sidelines and he understood how much Avi meant to her, he'd only recently found someone like that in his life too.

"...Maybe. I did also want to come a see you, though." She shuffled awkwardly trying to talk her way out of admitting the truth, it was rather bad-mannered of her to come to someone's house just to talk about someone else.