Falling Slowly

Of course I was going to have one of songs from the original busker love story as one of the songs Avi has sang. It was too perfect to miss.

----------------------

"I bet you have a better view in Brooklyn." She smirked as she handed him a generous amount of wine in a plastic cup which he gratefully accepted. He needed something, anything really, to ease his nerves.

He was out of his element, a Brooklyn fish out of water hanging on a rooftop of a fancy Upper East Side apartment block. If someone would have offered him a book on how to make it through that situation without making a fool out of himself, he would have happily taken it, even if he had to give something ridiculous like $100 in exchange. Avi desperately wanted the night to go well. This was his one chance with the girl of his dreams, one chance to woo her, to get to know her. There was too much riding on this situation for him to blow it, he needed to get this right.

The wine was bitter, Avi figured from the distaste in his mouth that he was more of a white wine person but he drank it anyway needing something to quell his nerves.

"I don't know, I do quite like looking at the walls of other buildings." He joked, Avi was unsure whether the wine was working already after one sip or if being in the mere presence of the alcohol had given him a confidence boost - either way he didn't care, it meant that he was no longer mumbling.

It was true, he did have a better view from his apartment in Brooklyn. This view wasn't anything spectacular, just a nice viewing point of the buildings around it, perfect for being nosey. The trouble with living on the island was you couldn't behold the magic of the Manhattan skyline since you were in it and unless you were in the Chrysler or the Empire State or just happened to live next to the Hudson, your view would be at best some nice architecture on the building next to yours. It was one of the perks of living in another borough and one of the reasons him and Esther had opted not to live in the hub of the city.

"Where abouts in Brooklyn do you live? I used to be a Queens girl myself so if it's not Williamsburg, I'll just pretend to know where you are on about." She took a sip of her own wine before walking past Avi to the edge of the building and looked down on the people below. He didn't know how something so simple as curiously observing people could look so beautiful but somehow she made it so.

"Um, Carroll Gardens? It's south of the bridge." He began to play with his beard in order to give his free hand something to do as he walked over to join her.

She crinkled her nose trying to work out where he was talking about with Avi found adorable. "Er, I think I know - a friend of mine lives there. Is it as hipster as the rest of Brooklyn?"

This made Avi chuckle, he found borough stereotypes hilarious, everyone used them whether they believed them or not but unlike most stereotypes, they were usually true. "Not exactly, it's more of a family friendly area. There's still some killer coffee shops and art galleries though."

She let out a noise of recognition before shivering. It was way more windy up there than either of them were expecting.

"You cold?" Avi instinctively moved closer to her to share his warmth with her.

She had her arms wrapped around her chest and was as curled up as someone standing up could be. "Obviously."

Avi knew his cue, he had watched enough romance films to know how this went down. "Would you like my jacket?" He gestured to the leather coat he was wearing over the top of a hoodie. If he had known he would have been seeing her that night, he would have worn his fancy coat.

"Erm please? Just for a second. I'll go run down to my apartment to get a blanket or something. Do you want me to take your guitar down?" She gestured to his guitar which he had reseted next to the door to the stairwell.