First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

You're lucky I love you guys because I wrote this while recovering from a hangover ;)

I'm not too happy with this chapter, it's more of a filler really for all the Kavi greatness in the next chapter. I hope you enjoy regardless!

----------------------

"Hi..." He somehow managed to stammer out, bewildered by the woman in front of him. They were in foreign territory now, he didn't know how to act. For some reason the sight of her had managed to startled him into breaking his routine so Avi had no idea what he was going to do next. He could already feel the redness appearing on his cheeks which only made him more anxious. Not only was he probably coming across as an blundering idiot, he was now an obviously flustered blundering idiot.

"Hi." Her reply was almost staccato, matching his awkwardness completely.

He carefully moved over to her, never taking her eyes off hers, trying not to land flat on the floor in front of her. He knew he yearned to be closer to her but he had surprised himself at such a bold move. He came to a stop in front of her and grabbed the bar hanging from the roof for support - God knows he needed it.

Avi couldn't believe what was happening, a day ago they were still on the page where all they did was stare at each other across the carriage but her change in schedule and unexpected forwardness had completely obliterated that. Six months ago he had sang a Johnny Cash song about her the day after seeing her for the first time and now he was talking to her. A pleased smile came across his face as he felt her brush up against him thanks to the motion of the train. She didn't flinch, neither did he. A silence had fallen upon them creating a thick air of anticipation between them. They just stood there staring, taking each other in and experiencing the change in dynamics.

"Erm." He heard her mumble before breaking the eye contact to look down at their feet. Avi was relieved when he remembered he was wearing shoes that were only slightly shabby.

"Yeah." He huffed into the air and glanced over at the subway map above the door pretending to study it when in fact he knew most of it like the back of his hand. He hadn't a clue what to do or say - what should you tell a women you've been staring at for months?

"What's in the bag?" He gulped out and immediately regretted it. Smooth Avi, real smooth. It wasn't the most romantic of starts but it was an opener nonetheless.

"Erm," It was her turn to become flustered under his gaze. "Just some snacks. I'm having a movie night with some friends."

"I didn't think you Upper Easters bought your own snacks, don't you have a butler or something to do that for you?" Avi attempted to tease her but his nerves made his words sound more like someone having a panic attack than a comedian.

"What makes you think I live there?" She said with a smirk, clearly she was feeling much more comfortable than Avi. Wherever she was getting her confidence from, Avi wanted some too.

Her eyes staring him down and that smirk made him hot under the collar. "Erm, you don't? I thought you did since you know you are on this train, well you could live in The Bronx but I don't know - I mean, not that I was stalking you, like that would be creepy."

She looked at him with a bemused expression on her face and gave off a chuckle. "I was just teasing you, I live in Manhattan."

The train once more pulled up to a station and she moved closer to him to let others get on. For a second she was practically flat out against his chest and Avi swore his heart stopped beating momentarily. "Um Brooklyn."

"What was that?" Soprano? Avi noted as she peered up at him, a little too close for comfort but he didn't dislike it. "You said something". Definitely Mezzo-soprano.