Build It Better

Please read the author's note at the end- it's kinda important. Also hi, I'm back ;)

---------------

Diana was perfect. Perfect eyes, perfect hair, perfect voice, she was everything Kirstie could only dream of being. With Marilyn Monroe classic beauty and a smile that made even angels feel self conscious, Kirstie had no doubt that the pang of uncomfortableness that rocked her body was due to the women sitting across from her at the table. She was just so pretty, not a hair out of place and a perfectly proportioned body, so pretty that she was beginning to ruin Kirstie's dining experience.

She wanted to like Diana, she really did, Avi had sang her praises too much for Kirstie to take an immediate disliking but that was before she met her, before she discovered how comfortable she was around him. The light touches she kept on placing on her boyfriend's arm, the way her eyes lit up whenever he smiled, how she managed to let out her perfect giggle at every joke he made, even the really bad ones that were too horrendous to be adorable. Kirstie once thought she wasn't a jealous person but the women sitting across from her had managed to destroy that theory in only a few minutes.

If it was any other girl she probably would have been fine with it but there was something about the way Diana glanced at her across the table that made her uneasy, it made her distrust her without her even needing to speak a word. She wanted him for herself and Kirstie knew it.

Admittedly, she was the one to cause this little get together but now she deeply regretted inviting her over for dinner. Somehow she had made her feel threatened in her own apartment, she didn't like the way she was touching him, they way she looked at her like she was a piece of rotten meat to be tossed out, and to make matters worse she was just so goddamn beautiful. She trusted Avi, she knew he wouldn't cheat on her nor act upon any feelings if he had any - he was loyal to a fault, but coming from the performing career she knew those types of women, it only took them some revealing clothing and a lot of vodka to get even the most trustworthy of men into bed and from the look on her face, she was more than willing to try that on Avi.

It didn't help that she had been accosted at the stage door after her matinee performance by one of Avi's fans (oh how the times had changed) who had decided to take it upon themselves to declare to Kirstie the reasons why Avi had not yet proposed to her. According to the fan she was too ugly, too stupid, too untalented to make Avi want to marry her. It wasn't their exact words, in fact they had been a little more subtle when it came to their delivery but Kirstie knew what they were trying to say, that she wasn't good enough for him. Truthfully she had not been thinking about marriage before that point, they had only been together for a year and already so many problems had cropped up that so far they had managed to quell. So much had been going on in their lives for her to be thinking about marriage but the fan had struck a chord, maybe they were right, maybe they weren't right for each other, maybe instead he should have been with the beautiful natural blonde sitting across from her at the table.

She suffered through it for him though. He just looked so happy, so content that someone from his past other than Kevin actually cared about him still, she couldn't ruin the evening for him, she'd feel too guilty to look him in the eye. The only thing of hope that Kirstie could grasp onto for support was that Avi was not reciprocating any of Diana's advances instead choosing to hold her own hand the entire time like it was a constant reminder that they were a thing, that she shouldn't be worried. He knew what she was thinking, they'd been together too long for him to not know it and Kirstie was pleased for the support, he was restraining his enthusiasm for her and she was grateful for it yet that didn't mean he was going to stop altogether.